Violence sparks rally against ID card

In response to the arraignment of an alleged rapist, two anti-illegal-immigration activists held a press conference Monday night to air their grievances against Mayor John DeStefano Jr. and the Elm City ID Card.

Bill Farrel of the Southern Connecticut Immigration Reform and Veronica Kivela of the Community Watchdog Project met news outlets outside of Temple Grill to rally against Jose Angel Moreno-Hernandez, a 26-year-old employee at the Temple Street restaurant who was arraigned Monday for allegedly raping and beating a 25-year-old female co-worker in East Rock Park early Friday.

Hamden police reported earlier in the week that Moreno-Hernandez tried to snap the woman’s neck before raping her and driving off.

Farrel and Kivela claimed that the Elm City ID program is responsible for attracting undocumented immigrants to New Haven, asserting that the influx of undocumented immigrants has caused an increase in violent crime. It has not yet been determined whether Moreno-Hernandez is an undocumented immigrant.

DeStefano responded swiftly to the accusations in City Hall Monday night, asserting that the Elm City ID program does not contribute to violent crime, saying that the program does not excuse undocumented immigrants from answering for their crimes. There is no evidence, he said, that links one’s genetic or racial identity to criminal behavior.

City Hall spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga reiterated DeStefano’s response Wednesday: “They’re trying to misconstrue what the Elm City ID is about.”

On Tuesday, Kivela said she was dissatisfied with the response from the Mayor’s Office, asserting that DeStefano is attempting to escape responsibility in the rape case.

“This man [DeStefano] has the audacity to suggest that American citizens commit more crime than people from other countries, who are sneaking into America,” Kivela said. “How dare he? I am so offended.”

Dustin Gold, President of the CWP, said Wednesday that the protest was precipitated by contact that had been made between the CWP and the family of the yet-unnamed rape victim. The victim’s family, Gold said, contacted the CWP in search of “information and guidance” in light of the possibility that the victim’s rapist may have been an undocumented immigrant. Gold said they viewed the rape as a “wake-up call” to the influx of illegal immigrants to New Haven. Gold said he forwarded written correspondence — letters sent between the CWP and the Mayor’s Office regarding the Elm City ID program — to the victim’s family.

A two-day registration drive for the Elm City ID targeted at Yale students ended Wednesday in Dwight Hall. In all, 22 Yale students registered for the card.

• Anon

Unfortunately, Mr. Kivela, the Mayor happens to be correct about Americans committing more crime than immigrants. This case has nothing to do with illegal immigration. The defendant and the victim worked together and knew each other, which is the case with most rapes. The defendants immigration status has nothing to do with it.

Also, this article perhaps could do a better job of noting that there were only TWO people at this so called rally. That Mayor DeStefano would address these radical bigots speaks to his character and his commitment to making New Haven a welcoming city for everyone.

• alum '00

What a smart idea for a rally. I'm sure if we just take away the identity cards of law-abiding undocumented immigrants in New Haven, that'll stop crime! Because everybody knows that little cards turn people into criminals. Either that, or if you just take away this card program, and stick your head in the sand, you can pretend that all the immigrants have disappeared (or something).

In reality, anyone concerned about preventing crime should be rallying FOR the Elm City ID Card, not against it! By bringing law-abiding people out of the shadows, the city can encourage them to talk to police and the government; this is the only way community policing can do its work of preventing and solving crimes (which helps stop smaller-time crime from becoming big-time crime).

• LaVerdad

All illegal aliens are criminals and warrant immediate deportation.

America demanding her laws be respected is not evidence of bigotry.

Minority cultures commit more crime per capita than American culture.

This abominable violation has everything to do with illegal immigration.

You know it. I know it. I know you know it. DeStefano knows it. And the American citizens of New Haven know it. No hay nada mas decir.

The time for this idiotic discourse and debate has passed. It is now (think tea party) TIME TO ACT.

• whitetrash

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM !
    I.C.E. 866-347-2423 REPORT TO DEPORT !
    ENFORCE THE LAW ! DEPORT THEM ALL!
    numbersusa.com / fair.com / capsweb.org /
    americanpatrol.com/outragedpatriots.com/
    theterryandersonshow.com / 912project /
    prisonplanet.com / worldnetdaily
    CALL congress:866-220-0044/877-210-5351
    DEMAND JANET N. RESIGN !
    NO DREAM ACT !!!
    DEMAND E-VERIFY / 287g NATIONWIDE !!!!
    THE LAWS WE HAVE IN PLACE ARE FAIR THEY JUST NEED TO BE ENFORCED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Nikki

Give me a break - these are not good hard working people. The illegals are here to take what ever our generous country and Americans will give them. Then the illegals send the money to "their" countries. The illegals do not care about America, they care about their own greed. Watch how fast they would all go home if for one minute they thought that illegals (from all countries) would have to serve 3 years of military duty in order to become a citizen. Get rid of the I.D. Cards, deport the illegals - watch crime go way down.

Opinions aside, here are the facts:

By Jim Kouri

The former Immigration and Naturalization Service estimated that as of January 2000 the total unauthorized immigrant population residing in the United States was 7 million. This total includes those who entered the United States illegally and those who entered legally but overstayed their authorized period of stay.

A more recent study estimated that there were about 10 million illegal aliens living in the United States as of March 2005. The study estimated that nearly 700,000 aliens entered the United States illegally or overstayed their authorized period of stay each year between 2000 and 2004. Some experts believe this is a overly conservative figure and that illegal immigrants number close to 20 million.

At the same time, after a steady annual reduction in crime, the annual FBI Uniform Crime Report reveals a slow but sure yearly increase in crime, especially violent crime. Some criminologists attribute the rise in crime to illegal aliens who come into the United States with a criminal background.

Many illegal aliens in the United States have been arrested and incarcerated in federal and state prisons and local jails, adding to already overcrowded prisons and jails. The US Justice Department issued a report on criminal aliens who are incarcerated in federal and state prisons and local jails.

The report contained information on the number of criminal aliens incarcerated, their country of citizenship or country of birth, and the cost to incarcerate them. Congress also requested that the Government Accounting Office provide information on the criminal history of aliens incarcerated in federal and state prisons or local jails who had entered the country illegally.

In the population study of a sample of 55,322 illegal aliens, researchers found that they were arrested at least a total of 459,614 times, averaging about 8 arrests per illegal alien. Nearly all had more than 1 arrest. Thirty-eight percent (about 21,000) had between 2 and 5 arrests, 32 percent (about 18,000) had between 6 and 10 arrests, and 26 percent (about 15,000) had 11 or more arrests. Most of the arrests occurred after 1990.

They were arrested for a total of about 700,000 criminal offenses, averaging about 13 offenses per illegal alien. One arrest incident may include multiple offenses, a fact that explains why there are nearly one and half times more offenses than arrests. Almost all of these illegal aliens were arrested for more than 1 offense. Slightly more than half of the 55,322 illegal aliens had between 2 and 10 offenses.

About 45 percent of all offenses were drug or immigration offenses. About 15 percent were property-related offenses such as burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and property damage. About 12 percent were for violent offenses such as murder, robbery, assault, and sex-related crimes.

The balance was for such offenses as traffic violations, including driving under the influence; fraud — including forgery and counterfeiting; weapons violations; and obstruction of justice.

Eighty percent of all arrests occurred in three states — California, Texas, and Arizona. Specifically, about 58 percent of all arrests occurred in California, 14 percent in Texas, and 8 percent in Arizona.

Sources: Government Accounting Office, US Department of Justice, National Security Institute

• Don

How stupid young Americans are.
    Back in the good old days we Americans had a wonderful quality of life.
    Partly due to Legal Immigration.
    These young people championing illegal alien rights are dooming their own future and the future of their children and grandchildren.
    And they are so smart that they can't see the damage they are doing.

• Truth Warrior

Arizona, look up Maricopa County Attorney's office. They did a study and found that while 9% of the population are Illegal's, over 21% of Felony Criminals in their Co. Jail are Illegal's, Hello?

People that are willing to pay a Drug/Human smuggler a years wages and/or transport Drugs to pay their way in AND willing to buy Stolen/Forged ID AND are willing to sign an I-9 at Work committing further Felonies AND think America is AZTLAN or belongs to Mexico (look up AZTLAN Studies in Tucson AZ Schools) AND come from a Culture of Lawlessness and self made poverty, ARE more likely to committ crimes.

Federal Prisons; Illegal's are 29% of population there yet only 5% of total population.

Here in Oregon, we have had a 21% increase in Illegal's in our State Prisons (Prison = serious repeat criminal) in just the last two years! And we are a "Sanctuary" state, so they had to committ a very serious crime as none of our local police work with ICE.

Truth does hurt doesn't it?

If someone knowingly comes in to a country violating the law, can you expect such a person to become a law abiding citizen ? If I took a serial shop lifter and made him head of store security, is he/she more likely to steal ?

• Madas

Look at the statements below for a minute:

As Some Commenters Have Stated:

"Americans [commit] more crime than immigrants"

"A more recent study estimated that there were about 10 million illegal aliens "

Finally, as Some Activists Have Stated:

"Most Illegal Immigrants are Law-Abiding"

Think about it…

• Roman

Please don't confuse crime statistics of LEGAL IMMIGRANTS with ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.
    American born citizens may commit more crime than LEGALS, but certainly not more than ILLEGALS.