Admit rate falls to record-low 7.5 percent

Yale College saw a record-low acceptance rate of 7.5 percent this year, a 0.8 percentage point drop from last year’s initial acceptance rate of 8.3 percent.

Yale accepted 1,951 students from the total regular and early applicant pool of exactly 26,000 applicants, Dean of Admissions Jeff Brenzel told the News on Tuesday. The overall admit rate will rise slightly if Yale admits students from its waitlist, Brenzel said.

The graph reflects overall acceptance rates announced in April and does not account for students admitted off the waitlist.  Usually, the acceptance rate climbs by a few tenths of a percentage point after students are admitted from the waitlist.
The graph reflects overall acceptance rates announced in April and does not account for students admitted off the waitlist. Usually, the acceptance rate climbs by a few tenths of a percentage point after students are admitted from the waitlist.

Compared to last year, a greater proportion of students were admitted regular decision as opposed to early action. Yale admitted 1,209 out of its 20,444 regular decision applicants. Factoring the 2,644 students deferred for early admission into the regular applicant pool, the regular admit rate is 5.4 percent.

At this time last year, the University admitted 1,007 of its 17,925 regular applicants.

Although Yale received a record number of early action applications this year, the University admitted fewer students early than it did last year. Out of the 5,556 students who applied early action to Yale, 742 were accepted, an acceptance rate of 13.4 percent.

The number of students placed on Yale’s waitlist fell 27 percent compared to last year, down to 769 students from 1,052 for the class of 2012.

Last year, Yale admitted an additional 60 students from the waitlist, Brenzel said, resulting in a final overall admit rate of 8.6 percent. He added that he expects to admit students from the waitlist this May, but Brenzel said he could not predict how many students on the waitlist would be ultimately accepted.

This year, the Admissions Office aims to matriculate a class of about 1,310, Brenzel said, down from 1,320 last year.

Several of Yale’s peer institutions also posted record-low acceptance rates this year. Harvard University announced Tuesday that it admitted 7 percent of applicants, while the Massachusetts Institute of Technology admitted 10.2 percent of applicants, MIT Dean of Admissions Stuart Schmill said. Brown and Columbia universities also announced their lowest-ever acceptance rates, admitting 10.8 and 9.8 percent of applicants respectively, spokesmen for both universities said.

The University of Pennsylvania saw a small increase in its acceptance rate, which rose to 17.1 percent from 17 percent, the Daily Pennsylvanian reported. The remaining Ivy League universities had not announced their acceptance rates as of Tuesday afternoon.

The total number of applications for Yale’s class of 2013 increased 14 percent over last year’s total of 22,817 applications. Early applications this year rose 13.7 percent over last year’s total.

• yalie

jeepers..

• Huh?

Who cares? Is this some kind of ego trip for Yale? This ridiculous headline appears every year at about this time. Yale should get over itself before it becomes irrelevant.

CONGRATS TO THE NEXT CLASS OF YALIES!!!

• To Huh?

Don't bring in anything that's not there. There is no ego trip, it's simply news material. There are college newspapers that report on increased acceptance rates--would you consider that self-deprecation?

Insecurities. Sheesh.

YAY!!! Welcome!

• amo

how many new haven public school students gained acceptance?

• Yale Hopeful Dad

It is to the writer's credit that the distiction between early action and regular action was drawn. The difference between the early rate and the regular rate was stark. You have a 148% better chance of gaining admission by applying early. As for this not meaning anything, it does. It is evidence that there is tremendous value in the Yale "brand", and that those attending there will be the primary beneficiaries of that.

• @6

How many New Haven public school students were qualified? Because that's how many gained acceptance. More numbers will come out soon, I'm sure.

• Yale 09

too many

• Yale 08

Yale Hopeful Dad,

It's not that easy, statistically, to interpret the numbers as you have. To interpolate that the diff. between early and regular decision translates to a 148% greater likelihood of acceptance belies the nuances involved in selecting between these two types of applicants. Truth be told, both pools are extremely selective and early admits are often more confident, prepared for such a process. In other words, more self-selective. In the end, the diff, btwn 14% and 7% is still small. The entire process is painfully competitive, no matter what pool you enter.

• @8

#8: uh, not true. with an admit rate like 7.5%, even qualified applicants are turned away. despite what we like to tell ourselves, we all got into yale because we're lucky, not because we're smart.

besides, in this economy, legacies and sons and daughters of big donors will probably stand a better chance of being able to matriculate (i.e. can afford to go) than new haven PS students.

• @11

Accusing Yale of still favoring rich legacies over minorities/poor kids/homegrown students is SO 1940. It's all about diversity, man.

• Elihu

I say…we've let in too many, kids.