M. HOCKEY | Bulldogs take game 1

The men’s hockey team came from behind Friday evening to win the first game in a best-of-three series for the ECAC tournament quarterfinal.

At first, it appeared as if the fans in blue at Ingalls Rink would be disappointed. Bottom seed Brown, fresh off its upset series win against Harvard last weekend, jumped out to an early two goal lead. The Cinderella story looked promising.

But the top-seeded Elis responded with four straight goals and ultimately overwhelmed the Bears (5-22-5, 3-15-4 ECAC) for a 4-2 victory.

Forwards Patrick Brosnihan ’09, Denny Kearney ’11, Broc Little ’11, and Kevin Limbert ’12 scored for the Bulldogs (21-7-2, 15-5-2), while goalie Alec Richards ’09 had 26 saves.

The Bulldogs, who received a first round bye last week, were outshot 15-4 in the opening frame.

But Brosnihan’s goal midway through the second frame not only put the Elis on the board but also sparked the team’s offense. From then on, the home team began piling shots on Brown goalie Mike Clemente.

Kearney scored to tie the game with three seconds left in the second period, catching Brown in a 4-on-3 situation. Little and Limbert each added power play goals in the third period to put the Bulldogs on top.

The Elis will look to close out the series Saturday night at another 7 p.m. opening face-off at Ingalls.

• teenwoolf

Everyone is entitled to private jokes, but once you make your private joke a public spectacle (in the street, being recorded), it becomes an ingredient in creating the tenor and mood of the community. Even beyond the desensitizing that goes on with this kind of humor, which is at stake, there is a sheerly practical issue on the table. Using only words, you can make a woman or a man feel embarrassed, ashamed, or dirty. When you loudly and publicly kid around about rape or sexual assault, you can never know who is listening or watching. You could revive a painful memory for someone, silently encourage them to keep quiet about an assault, or just make someone uncomfortable. And who wants to do that?

Just like playing in a dumpster and leaving a mess on the street, the way that you behave in social situations can be destructive and irresponsible. Sure, everyone makes remarks or does silly (even drunken) things we wish we could take back. But we should try to be better, and in the meanwhile, pressuring people into being “good sports” is the wrong response. That “boys will be boys” adage — and, I may add, I don’t mean this in a gendered way — is nothing more than a justification of entitlement and poor citizenship.

We need to tend our garden, people. And those of you who don’t agree: you are, like, totally gay. And, like, retarded.