Around New Haven

New Haven named finalist for national disability policy award

The National Organization on Disability announced last week that the Elm City is one of the seven finalists for the 2009 Accessible America Competition, which awards a $25,000 prize to cities with superior accessibility and disability policy. City Hall spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga said city officials are pleased to be recognized by the NOD. “We want to make sure that members of our community who live with disabilities experience high-quality services,” she said.

—Victor Zapana

Proposed union cuts and layoffs hit roadblock

Gov. M. Jodi Rell’s plan to secure approximately $295 million in concessions from the state’s 50,000 union employees is not progressing as fast as the Republican governor would like, she said Thursday. Rell refused to rule out layoffs, saying to CT News Junkie there may not be too many other options in the future. Rell’s budget, released Feb. 4, closed an estimated $6 billion budget gap, $2.7 billion less than the amount estimated by Democratic legislators in the General Assembly.

—Zeke Miller

Bank on Church Street robbed Thursday morning

The Bank of America at 157 Church St., located in Connecticut Financial Center next to City Hall, was robbed at 9:54 a.m. Thursday. Police said the suspect, who did not display a weapon, quitely passed the teller a note and then fled on foot with the surrendered cash toward Chapel Street. The suspect, who can clearly be seen in surveillance camera footage, is described by police as a black male of medium complexion in his 20s with no facial hair who was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, dark coat and a cap.

—Harrison Korn

From Washington: $5.8 million for Tweed

Rep. Rosa DeLauro announced Tuesday that Tweed-New Haven Regional Airport earned a federal grant worth $5.8 million. The funding will be used to extend and rehabilitate the airport’s taxiway. Tweed Executive Director Tim Larson said work on the taxiway could begin as soon as this spring, and additional projects will complete safety zones on either end of an existing runway. Funding for Tweed is still pending at the state level: The General Assembly’s Transportation and Commerce committees held hearings last month on proposals to award $1.5 million to the airport in fiscal year 2010, though Gov. M. Jodi Rell did not include that money in her budget.

—Yale Daily News

• hello?

why are there two pictures of two different men printed in next to the brief about the bank robbery? according to the brief only one person stole the money, so why should two faces be labeled as suspects? you can't even tell by the brief which of the men in the picture are being described…

the YDN needs to be more careful and i think you need to post a correction to clarify.

I would like to know what other cities are like for the disabled if New Haven is one of the best. As anyone who has ever even ridden a bike in this town knows, the hundreds of deep potholes, miles of cracked pavement, sidewalks in main thoroughfares constantly blocked by construction, and the Oak St. Connector physically dividing the city into halves, would seem to make it difficult for disabled people to maintain mobility.

Maybe New Haven's services and policies are really good. Do we have a great van service or something? The town's investment in physical infrastructure doesn't seem to match up with getting a disability award. I would like some more follow up on this.