BULLDOGS WIN ECAC CHAMPIONSHIP

After a temporary setback last weekend, the men’s hockey team finally got things right tonight.

The No. 11 Bulldogs (20-6-2, 15-4-2 ECAC) clinched the ECAC regular season championship on Friday with a 4-2 victory over No. 10 Cornell at Ingalls Rink.

The men's hockey team celebrates after defeating Cornell on Friday at Ingalls Rink.
Don Clark

Left winger Brian O’Neill ’12 scored twice for the Elis, while center Mark Arcobello ’10 had a goal and three assists in front of a raucous sellout crowd.

Yale had a three-goal lead heading into the final frame, but goals from Colin Greening and Evan Barlow meant the outcome of the game was not decided until the last minute. Still, despite late pressure from the Big Red (20-8-0, 14-7-0), O’Neill iced a statement victory for the home team with a rebound goal with 45 seconds left in the game.

Yale officially secured the Cleary Cup about 30 minutes after the final buzzer sounded when second-place Princeton’s 2-0 loss at Dartmouth went final. Moments after, ECAC Hockey Commissioner Steve Hagwell presented the trophy to Bulldog players and coaches in an impromptu ceremony in Yale’s locker room.

The Elis last won the conference regular season championship in 1997-’98. In preseason polls this year, they were picked to finish seventh place in the ECAC.

• jb

congrats to them… but why are their uniforms pink? did someone mess with the picture in photoshop?

• A. Whitney Griswold

the jerseys were for the Pink at the Rink fundraiser for the American Cancer Society.

• Fan

The jerseys looked like they were custom Vineyard Vines jobs.

• ca

Coach Allain has really turned this program around. Congradulation' Coach Nice Job Boy's!