Wait, isn’t Willoughby’s already open? Although the Willoughby’s in the Loria Center has been open since the weekend of Jan. 30, University Properties has scheduled a “Grand Opening ribbon-cutting ceremony” for the coffee shop today at 11 a.m.

Third time’s the charm. After days of speculation, President Obama on Wednesday introduced former Washington governor Gary Locke ’72 as his nominee for commerce secretary. Obama’s two prior nominees, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and Sen. Judd Gregg (R-N.H.), both withdrew from consideration before the Senate could confirm them.

A worm infests Harvard. Cantab users of Google Talk — a popular IM client and procrastination tool — found their accounts flooded with messages directing them to ViddyHo.com. As one Harvard student realized after typing her username and password into the site, “It’s common sense not to put your password and login on a site that’s not Gmail.”

Sorry, Yalies, spring cleaning will have to wait. Originally scheduled to debut Tuesday, STEP’s second installment in their “Take the Pledge” video series will instead come out next week, said a student STEP leader. The video will teach students how to defrost their refrigerators.

Actor Paul Newman DRA ’54 was honored by the House of Representatives on Tuesday night as a screen legend and humanitarian. The Oscar winner, who died in September, was praised for “the humanitarian works and incomparable talents [that] have made him an American icon.”

In an op-ed in The New York Times yesterday, Yale Law School professor Stephen Carter LAW ’79 criticized the “sound bite” nature of current political dialogue, arguing that quotes are often pulled out of context. Carter wrote, “We may not be burning books, exactly, but we are burning arguments and ideas [and] replacing them with applause lines.”

Another piece in The Times featured Carter’s fellow professor and former Law School Dean Anthony Kronman LAW ’75 lamenting decreased enrollment in the humanities across campuses nationwide. In the article, Kronman said he feared the humanities may once again, like in the early 20th century, become the province of the rich, “a great luxury that many cannot afford.”

This day in Yale history
1957 Approximately four-fifths of Jonathan Edwards College’s 250 students boycotted their dining hall’s evening meal in response to widespread food poisoning believed to have been caused by a lunch meal the previous Friday. A sign over the deserted dining hall’s doorway read, “Starve and live: the life you save will be your own.”

Submit ideas to Cross Campus
crosscampus@yaledailynews.com