Seniors close in on $20,000 gift

Members of the Class of 2009 are opening up their wallets this month — despite an ailing economy — so they can make their first donations to Yale as part of the Senior Class Gift.

As of Wednesday, with less than one week to go in the three-week campaign that ends next Tuesday, the class had raised nearly $15,000 through donations from around 40 percent of seniors. Development officials said it should be no problem, then, to meet their goal of $20,000 raised and 60 percent participation.

But the seniors in charge of this year’s Class Gift have more ambitious aims. They want to break the record of 83 percent participation.

“We’re in good shape, but we’re trying to do more than anyone ever has,” said Evan Leitner ’09, the co-chair of this year’s Senior Class Gift. “So we have to get quite a few hundred seniors to give this weekend.”

If last year’s performance is any bellwether of things to come, Leitner and co-chair Maggie Goodlander ’09 (along with more than 120 seniors who volunteered to ask their friends for contributions) may still be in good shape. The Class of 2008 had only secured gifts from 20 percent of seniors heading into the final weekend, even though they ended up with 74 percent participation.

To help encourage seniors to give, Chief Investment Officer David Swensen will be the guest of honor at a cocktail party on Saturday — Valentine’s Day — to which all seniors who have donated at least $20.09 will be invited.

Even still, Yale’s fundraisers emphasized that it is not the size of a senior’s gift that matters most. Lynn Andrewsen ’82, who oversees alumni annual giving for the Development Office, said the Senior Class Gift is important because it helps instill a sense of duty to Yale among graduates.

“It may seem like a small amount of money,” she said, “but it’s very much about encouraging Yale seniors to give back to Yale. And we’re trying to tell the story of how important giving is to everyone’s Yale education.”

In order to spread awareness of the impact that donations have at Yale, this year’s seniors also started a video competition to help promote the Senior Class Gift. Felicia Resor ’09 and Xander Diminitz ’09 were named winners of that competition.

Ironically, Resor and Diminitz hail from two of three residential colleges with the lowest participation rate thus far in the campaign. Saybrook College, home of Diminitz and more than a hundred other seniors, has raised less than $700 from just over 20 percent of its class. Jonathan Edwards College has raised nearly $1,100 from 30 percent of its seniors.

As of press time Wednesday, Ezra Stiles College was in the lead for both participation and dollars raised, with two-thirds of its seniors combining to donate a total of nearly $2,000.

If Stiles can remain ahead in participation, one member of the college’s Class of 2013 will be awarded a $10,000 scholarship for his or her freshman year as an award for the college’s generosity to the Senior Class Gift.

And if more than 83 percent of seniors do make a gift by Tuesday — thereby breaking the previous record for participation — the impact of the class’s gift will double. One alumnus has pledged to match each dollar raised by the class if it clears that threshold for participation.

With a dollar-for-dollar match, there is no doubt that the class would then exceed the Class of 2007’s record of $27,630 raised.

Skip the shopping at J.crew, Gourmet Heaven or at Thain Cafe! I'm sure everyone can spare $20. For the people that work, that's like 2.5 hours of pay. Nothing.

• Tradition

Give the $20 to the charity of your choice. It needs it more than Yale …

• @Tradition

Tradition, I do tons of NGO work and I wish that I could agree with you. Sadly, the vast majority of charities squander the funds… Yale may even offer more "bang for the buck" due to the competence of its managers.

• Tradition

Agreed — hence the imperative to seek out organizations that audit themselves, and that accept self-criticism. I was by no means promoting self-satisfied charity giving — merely suggesting that there are organizations who a) need the money more than Yale, and b) have a bigger bang. Yale may have plenty of "bang for the buck", but a) what exactly is that bang that makes it so great, and b) given that Yale receives massive donations fairly often, the an individual student has a comparative advantage in the sense that they can support an organization unlikely every to receive millions from a certain Mr. Thain …

• Arnie

Emily, your article on Lynwood is informative and accurate. In addition to one tenant glad to leave the neighborhood are the vast majority who desire and enjoy living on the street. This fact is based on the huge numbers of tenants who renew their leases when due and who look for apartments on Lynwood solely on recommendations from current tenants. The location and quality of housing are excellent. Rent prices on Lynwood are based on expenses, supply and demand. I believe my tenants get good value for their dollar. As your article pointed out, Yale is a great partner in keeping the block safe for the Yale tenants . Arnie Lehrer, neighborhood property owner.