NHPD overhauls strategy

In an effort renew its focus on crime reduction, the New Haven Police Department is dropping its “Committed to Community Policing” motto in favor of a new slogan, “Dedicated to Protecting our Community” — and adding a new logo, too.

That new NHPD squad cars will carry the new slogan was just one of several announcements made by NHPD Chief James Lewis at a news conference Thursday morning. In November 2007, the Police Executive Research Forum issued 60 recommendations for the NHPD. The first two recommendations were to develop a new vision for the NHPD and a new citywide crime strategy. Yesterday morning, the NHPD announced its new mission statement and a new five-point crime fighting strategy.

Mayor John DeStefano Jr., who accompanied Lewis, said the problems the police face in 2009 are not the same problems they faced in 1999 or 1989, and, as a result, police response should be different.

Although the words are no longer part of the slogan, community policing — which, in principle, means officers forming relationships with the public to help deter crime — is not going away. Community policing happens every day, DeStefano said. Lewis told the News in October that he was a strong advocate of community policing.

But Barbara Fair, an organizer at the local criminal-justice reform agency People Against Injustice, criticized Lewis for moving away from community policing. In a phone interview Thursday, Fair said that as a result of recent policies with uncertain effects on reducing crime, people are losing trust in the police. Police actions, she said, do not match Lewis’ words.

“Community policing is important because if police build a good reputation with the community, the community will help the police,” Fair said, noting that city youth should see police as friends, not enemies.

Lewis said officers did not have a clear picture of what community policing meant. The new mission statement, which was developed through focus groups with employees and community members, was an opportunity to clarify what officers’ roles are, he said.

The NHPD’s new mission statement in-part reads: “We are dedicated to reducing crime and providing a safe environment by targeting quality of life issues in our neighborhoods and business community through aggressive enforcement of the law.”

“This isn’t about switching the little phrases on the cards,” DeStefano said. “It’s what we expect of each other as residents; it’s what we expect of our police officers and ourselves. This isn’t about a logo.”

Lewis announced a new policing strategy to accompany the new mission statement. The new crime strategy, titled “Targeted Activity Policing,” focuses on five areas: gun enforcement, narcotics enforcement, traffic enforcement, quality of life issues and youth programming. To address quality of life issues, Lewis lauded the formation of a new street crimes unit which will have two teams each made up of one sergeant, two detectives and four officers, launched Sunday.

These teams will not respond to 911 calls but instead focus on specific behaviors at specific locations. Lewis said a similar system was used in Pomona, Calif., where he previously served as chief. The Yale Police Department currently uses its Communications Division to achieve a similar purpose.

The department’s new focus on gun enforcement follows a year when the number of homicides in the city increased by 69 percent, though the total number of violent crimes decreased. Twenty of the 22 homicides in 2008 were committed using firearms.

This year appears to be following the same trend: Violent crime was 14 percent lower in January 2009 than in January 2008, but the number of assaults with firearms increased 30 percent, compared to 2008.

The NHPD began the focusing on traffic enforcement last year, launching a new traffic enforcement unit in the fall of 2008; traffic citations increased 48 percent from 2007 to 2008. And the NHPD’s new narcotics unit was re-launched last Sunday.

The per-capita violent crime rate in 2007 in New Haven was over twice the national average but comparable to that of Hartford and Bridgeport.

Amy Ramirez contributed reporting.

• anon

Who cares what you call the new initiative. Stop people for minor crimes, like littering and noise violations. In particular, start stopping more people for reckless driving, including running reds, driving over the speed limit, and not coming to a full stop at stop signs (which are not "minor" crimes - these things kill and injure large numbers of people).

By cracking down on this type of behavior, you prevent the bigger stuff from happening. Law Enforcement 101.

Don't call it racial profiling. A lot of the reckless drivers are suburban guys cruising through town to try to get home 2 minutes earlier, in the meantime, killing our children - either directly by hitting them, or indirectly, by making them feel unsafe to go outside.

Go to any other industrialized country. Six year old kids play out on the middle of the streets. Neighbors socialize. Why? Because the streets aren't filled with reckless, speeding vehicles. They are safe for people. Drivers aren't allowed to go more than 15 mph in the neighborhoods.

If you want to prevent crime, you need to improve society as a whole and that starts with the way people interact at the most basic levels.

• bfair

I commend the chief for wanting to improve the quality of life for residents and the chief needs to begin by acknowledging that there is more work to be done within the department. For example, if NHPD is conducting a prostitution sting then it doesn't look good when one soliciting sex is a NHPD officer.

• yaylie

anon - step out of the Yale bubble for a second. The reason NHPD doens't focus on noise violations and rolling stops is because there are too many more serious crimes in this city such as murders, burglaries, and drug dealing. I invite you to name one industrialized country with a speed limit of 15 mph in the neighborhood. I don't know much about neighborhood speed limits but I do know that I haven't been to any industrialized country but the United States where you routinely see speed limits as low as 55 mph on the freeway. In Germany there are often no speed limits at all on the autobahn. If you want your kids to play in the streets, go buy a house in a cul-de-sac. Everyone knows you don't play in the steets of downtown or the inner city.

• anon

Guess you haven't traveled much, Yaylie.

• yaylie

I doubt you're very well traveled yourself anon - my invitation to name one industrialized country with a speed limit of 15 mph in the neighborhoods has gone unanswered. In the meantime, I'll enjoy actually getting to shift into overdrive in my car, if you know what that means.