Deputy Provost for Faculty Development Judith Chevalier ’89 is set to return to teaching full-time, prompting two promotions in the Provost’s Office.

Frances Rosenbluth, the chairwoman of the Department of Political Science and the Damon Wells Professor of International Politics, will replace Chevalier in the key post of deputy provost for faculty development, and Associate Provost Emily Bakemeier will become deputy provost for humanities and social sciences, the University announced Friday.

Working with deans and other officers in the Provost’s Office, Rosenbluth will work on new programs and policies for career development and increasing faculty diversity.

“Making Yale, and academe more generally, a more level playing field for minorities and women is something that is still happening,” she said in a telephone interview Monday. “Policies are still quite fluid and moving, and there are exciting new initiatives we could come up with.”

Bakemeier, an art historian, will with her new title do what she has already been doing in all but in name for three years, now with some additional independence. Her responsibilities include overseeing the departments and programs in foreign language, literature, sociology, art history, humanities, film and theater.

“She has been doing the work of a deputy provost for some time now,” Deputy Provost Charles Long said. “It’s a recognition of the efficiency and skill and effectiveness of her work.”

Bakemeier did not return phone messages this weekend. Provost Peter Salovey was traveling abroad and could not be reached for comment.

Chevalier, 41, agreed when she joined the Provost’s Office in September 2007 that it would only be for a few years. Since she will be out on maternity leave this semester anyway, she said she thought it would be a natural point for the Provost’s Office to make the transition.

A professor of finance and economics at the School of Management, Chevalier was considered a major catch for Yale in 2001 when she accepted a position at SOM over offers from Stanford, Princeton, the University of California at Berkeley and MIT. Last summer, Chevalier was said to be among University President Richard Levin’s top choices to succeed Andrew Hamilton as provost, but sources said at the time that she decided not to pursue the position.

Chevalier said she is looking forward to having more time for her research, which includes work on electronic advice systems in stock market performance as well as other projects she has yet to start.

The provosts have been searching for her replacement for three or four months. They picked Rosenbluth in December because she has been an effective chair of the Political Science Department, a member of the Committee on the Economic Status of the Faculty, and an effective leader of several projects at the MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies, Long said.

“She’s a very well known and highly regarded University citizen,” he said.

The provost for faculty development is an influential position, Chevalier said, because it is the only one in the Provost’s Office except the Provost himself that is not tied to specific departments but rather has a coordinating role across the University.

In addition to diversity, Rosenbluth listed development and mentoring for junior faculty as another priority she will inherit from Chevalier. She said she wants to change the perception that Yale’s resources sometimes get stuck at the top.

“We want junior faculty who come here also to feel like it’s a place where they can develop as a scholar,” she said. “Their morale trickles down pretty directly to the students that they teach.”

Chevalier will officially step down from the post July 1, but Chevalier said she and Rosenbluth would start working together to ease the transition.