Briefly: History Professor Schwartz wins $75,000

This article has been corrected. You may view this article’s correction here.

Yale University History Professor Stuart B. Schwartz won the first annual Cundill International Prize in History for $75,000 awarded by McGill University, according to a University press release on Thursday. He received the award for his book “All Can Be Saved: Religious Tolerance and Salvation in the Iberian Atlantic World,” which was published by the Yale University Press in June this year. It is the largest non-fiction historical literature prize in the world, the release stated. McGill selects a U.S. author who has “published a book that has had a profound literary, social and academic impact on a given subject.”

Get the facts straight: the competition isn't limited to U.S. authors (it is a Canadian university, after all). Rather, the prize is awarded in U.S. dollars (sadly?).

From the website:

"The largest non-fiction historical literature prize in the world, the annual Cundill Prize awards $75,000 U.S. to an author who has published a book determined to have a profound literary, social and academic impact on a given subject. Two $10,000 U.S. 'Recognition of Excellence' prizes are also awarded. The shortlist, chosen from over 170 entries from around the world, was announced on Oct. 20, 2008."

• anon

2 other books were on the short list culled from 170 entries and 1 those was also published by Yale University Press - Harold Cook's "Matters of Exchange". http://www.mcgill.ca/cundillprize/