Briefly: Early applications drop at University of Pennsylvania

The University of Pennsylvania received 7.8 percent fewer early applications than it received last year, the Daily Pennsylvanian reported Thursday. Penn’s announcement reflects the greatest decline in early applications for an Ivy League school that has released this data so far. Yale and Dartmouth College increases in early applications of about 10 and 12.5 percent, respectively, and Brown University saw a small dip of about 4.5 percent. The economic downturn played a role in the application drop, Penn Admissions Dean Eric Furda told the Daily Pennsylvanian. Officials from the Penn Admissions Office did not respond to a request for comment Thursday.

• J Eli K

I think this is a reflection of the gradual demise of the Early Decision racket. This is unfortunate for our poor Philly brethren as they have benefitted mightily from ED. When it comes to RD, Penn simply cannot compete with Yale…maybe they'll have better luck with that peculiar school in New Jersey..

• alumnus

Now if only President Levin would revert to his former principled stand and wean Yale off its own addiction to early admissions as a yield-boosting device. Princeton and Harvard seem to have survived without it, and presumably Yale could too.

• Y11

Societies are more secret these days than any time during their heyday. Sure, Rumpus and IvyGate post the lists a year later, but at least they're not in the New York Times the week after. Tap night isn't even "public" for the landed societies as it was 60 years ago.

#14, clearly you've never been inside St. Elmo's. Also, it's not rented, the society owns it, and the property was bought to replace a tomb Yale appropriated (now a residence hall). Sorry to disappoint ya there

Lol @ # 2 (if you're even an alumnus in the first place). Why does it really matter if Yale informs students a few months earlier? It is not like: a) students are forced to attend and not able to compare fin aid packages, nor b) low-income/minority students are not able to get information about the early program (i.e. the internet).

Eliminate it just to follow Harvard and Princeton? That seems to be the main reason to do it, and that reason is very weak.

I'd like to hear a convincing argument to eliminate early ACTION (early decision I can understand…) but I haven't heard one yet.

• alumnus

Something is troubling about the fact that two thirds of the matriculants come from the 20% of total applicants in the early pool. Perhaps 25% of the early pool was admitted, counting those admitted after initial deferral, while only 5% of the chumps applying regular decision were admitted.

• BR

This was funny. Look, when a frat gets 20/24 members in a class in a 'secret society' and somebody described those getting taps as a "Who's Who" of Toads crowd people…

• Recent Alum

#3: There is no convincing argument to eliminate early action. Most of the anonymous commenters who complain about it are Harvard graduates who masquerade as Yale alums just to complain about a policy that gives Yale an edge over Harvard.

• alumnus

Its rather humiliating to think that Yale has to resort to a tactic of this sort simply, as the prior poster acknowledges, to seek "an edge over Harvard" (and presumably Princeton as well.) In the end it will prove counterproductive - even as the "binding Early Decision" option eventually proved counterproductive. Yale would be better off if we stopped trying to outsmart the "enemy" with obvious tactical ploys.