Elis win Rhodes, Mitchell scholarships

Three Yale students have been awarded two of the world’s most competitive scholarships — the Rhodes and Mitchell scholarships.

Yale’s sole winner of the Rhodes Scholarship is Jarrad Aguirre ’09, Davenport College student majoring in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology.

This year, 32 students from among 769 applicants were awarded the Rhodes scholarship, which funds two years of graduate study at Oxford University. Princeton University had three Rhodes winners, while Harvard University had two.

During his time at Yale, Colorado native Aguirre concentrated his studies on global health disparities, a topic he investigated while in Asia and Latin America, according to the Rhodes Trust. During his junior year, he was among 10 juniors inducted by Phi Beta Kappa. Beyond the realm of academics, Aguirre founded an organization to help Latino students inclined toward math and science enroll in graduate school.

While at Oxford, Aguirre plans to complete a Masters of Science in Medical Anthropology and a second MSc in Global Health Science, said Yale Associate Director for UK and Irish Fellowships Katherine Dailinger. After his time at Oxford, Aguirre will likely go on to pursue a medical school degree, she said.

Matt Baum ’09 of Berkeley College, also an MCDB major, is one of 12 students nationwide to earn the George J. Mitchell Fellowship, along with recent graduate Rebekah Emanuel ’07, an Ethics, Politics and Economics major from Ezra Stiles College.

Baum, who is in the process of earning simultaneous bachelor’s and master’s degrees, has worked at a number of labs around the world, according to the Mitchell Fellowship Web site. Research he worked on in a Belgian lab led to an important discovery in the field of Fragile X syndrome and the transformation of short-term memories into long-term memories.

At Yale, Baum is president of the Yale wrestling team and a member of the Yale rugby club. He plans to pursue a master’s in neuroscience at Trinity College Dublin.

After graduating from Yale, Emanuel worked with the Ugandan Parliament on issues of gender-based crimes. She lived in Israel for a year studying narratives of death and their impact on politics and civil society, the Web site said. Next year, as the recipient of a Simon Fellowship for Noble Purpose, she will travel to New Delhi to try to improve care for the terminally ill there.

Emanuel, who is also an artist, will pursue a master’s in human rights law through a cross-border program at Queen’s University Belfast and NUI Galway.

The Mitchell Scholarship, sponsored by the US-Ireland Alliance, funds one year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland.

• YRugger

Oh I'm not sure about Matt Baum playing Yale Rugby……

But given the fact that someone does not make up playing rugby, I'd say the information has been screwed up by the YDN. While he is not a current member, he may have played freshmen year or is part of another team confused with Yale's team. Also, premeds in general resume pad.

• passerby

@YRugger:

Dude, the Yale Rugby website has Matt Baum listed in their roster.

• anon

Also, his info on the Mitchell site lists him as a rugby player. Any resume padding here is Matt Baum's responsibility.

Just b/c he isn't good or whatever doesn't mean he didn't play rugby. He is on the roster. That counts. Enough said and stop posting dumb comments.

• alum78

It's my understanding that there was nothing racist or sexist or otherwise degrading or demeaning written on the YPMB's Berlin Wall Prop…just the "F" word and perhaps some other vulgarities. Provocative,yes, (Note to squids: It worked!), but they are onlyt words… Words which were no doubt echoing throughout Harvard Stadium, used by supporters of both teams.

George Carlin said, "There are no bad words, just bad thoughts" The ugliness is in the eye of the beholder.

In response to Eli Football Fan: The YPMB is a breath of fresh air. Your comments, in my generation, were nearly verbatim used to describe "Saturday Night Live" and Richard Pryor…

Mr. Duffy, free the YPMB! Tear down this wall!

-alum78

• Alum

I understand why Rhodes Scholars (or Marshall Scholars if we had any) are newsworthy, but does anyone really care about the Mitchell?

• Yale Rugby Player

Nope, he definitely does not play rugby… Coming out to a few practices his freshman year doesn't make him a rugby player. Sorry bro.

Don't be so quick to judge or condemn your audience either. You're a performing group subject to feedback yet you chose to shoot the messenger.

matt baum transferred. hence he couldn't have just "come out to a few practices his freshman year." sorry bro.

• YRugger

From the site:
    "and a member of the Yale rugby club"

Baum obviously played at some point, and since it does not say he played senior year, there is nothing wrong with his listing of rugby as an athletic involvement. I was under the impression that he listed it for this year as well. My mistake.

• Yale Wrestler

Considering that he was out of wrestling from a broken hand from rugby; I'd said he plays rugby. For at least two years.