Same-sex couple married in Elm City

This article has been corrected. You may view this article’s correction here.

One month after the Connecticut Supreme Court legalized gay marriage, the first same-sex marriage license in the state was issued in New Haven on Wednesday morning.

Barbara and Robin Levine-Ritterman signed their license to marry at 10 a.m. at City Hall, 17 years after their Jewish commitment ceremony and three years after entering into a civil union.

As the Levine-Rittermans exited the foyer of City Hall — marriage certificate in hand — a crowd of gay rights activists and supporters along Church Street erupted in cheers, presenting the couple with red roses and blowing bubbles in celebration.

The gathering occurred directly after a court proceeding at the New Haven Superior Court, where the gay marriage case began in 2004. Judge Jonathan Silbert said the case was “vigorously litigated and brilliantly litigated” and thanked both sides for their work in bringing about a resolution.

Other same-sex couples involved in the original court case were present at City Hall to obtain their own marriage licenses and to congratulate one another on what many called a “historic moment.”

In a 4-3 ruling on Oct. 10, the Connecticut Supreme Court reversed a state ban on gay marriage and stated that the state constitution’s equal protection clause guaranteed gay couples the right to marry.

The decision was contested by a state ballot initiative in last Tuesday’s election that would have allowed changes to be made to the state constitution, including a possible ban on gay marriage. The initiative failed; 59 percent of voters voted “No” on the question while 41 percent voted “Yes.”

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal ’73 said the state would do everything in its power to uphold the ruling of the Supreme Court.

“We did our job and we did it vigorously and steadfastly,” Blumenthal said. “We will make sure this order is enforced and honored.”

As audience members exited the courtroom, many dissolved into tears, exchanged grins with their partners and embraced their children. Robin Levine-Litterman said she hopes the days when gay marriage was prohibited soon fade into history.

“Love is love,” Robin Levine-Ritterman said. “Now, the state recognizes it.”

• Jason Smith

Question One, the ballot measure that would have authorized a state constitutional convention, failed by a 59/41 margin. That's not a "narrow margin" at all.

• Aaron

Mazel Tov!

• gary

yeah, congrats. let's keep freedom ringing.

• @ Jason Smith

However, it's hardly unanimous support.

The ballot measures banning gay "marriage" have shown that Americans are not ready to fully embrace any sort of mandate for the radical left.

They have essentially said this much so far:

1- We are sick of Bush
    2- We are worried about our 401(k)s
    3- We think the young charismatic is preferable to the old rambler
    4- We are generally socially conservative, but not completely so.

Bush 51 - Kerry 49 = OMG the nation is hopelessly divided!!!!

Obama 52- McCain 48 = OMG WE ARE LIKE TOTALLY UNITED!

Talk about irrational exuberance!

Obama actually won 53-46, for what it's worth, which is almost double the margin claimed by #4.

• #4

the point still stands.

we are still a country divided

there will be no end to this partisanship

the only real way will be to reduce the role of government in people's lives.

i am predicting a libertarian resurgence in the coming years

Hey #4, you should post under your own name.

The results of the other ballot measures show that the people of Connecticut are more enlightened than their brothers and sisters in Arkansas, Arizona, California, and Florida. It's also important to note that those measures were past by significantly smaller margins than previous anti-gay measures in the same states. The tide is turning, and love always wins in the end.

#4, could you explain to me what the "left" is?

Since everything you Republicans seems to dislike as called the "radical left", what is just plain "left"?

Or is the "left" inherently "radical"?

• #4

I'm not a Republican, don't throw me under that neo-conservative bus.

I'm more of a Ron Paul guy.

Limited government with specific enumerated powers.

The bail out is unconstitutional.
    Our war in Iraq is too- never declared war by Congress.

Bush and Obama will go down as a period of massive expansion of executive and federal powers- a disaster for individual rights.

I am against governmental attempts to redefine marriage.

If you want to give gays the ability to get healthcare, bequeath property, etc, then pass local legislation to that effect.

But don't try to redefine an ancient tradition of marriage.

(Pre-emptively, I am against divorce- a marriage is a binding contract, only an annullment is a viable recourse [i.e. prove the marriage contract never bound])

End the war on drugs

Guns rights for all

De-regulate and de-nationalize healthcare, financial institutions, the post office, and public schools.

Unlimited free trade and immigration.

Eliminated the federal income tax, and tax withholding.

Declare the military draft unconstitutional.

Send abortion back to the states.

Throw Paulson and Bernanke in jail.

Government is the problem.

Let free-thinking, free-consenting adults make their own decisions and contracts and agreements and trades.

I choose freedom over security, risk/reward over complacency.

• Yossarian1224

There is nothing more to say. Thank you for writing this.