Yale field hockey has its first real streak of the 2008 season. If history doesn’t repeat itself, they may be able to keep it going.

The Bulldogs (7-9, 2-4 Ivy) travel to Providence to play Brown (4-12, 0-6 Ivy) on Saturday for their final game of the year.

Last year’s matchup against the Bears will not bring back good memories for the Elis. The Bulldogs were 7-9 going into the game — as they are now — but the Bears had not beaten a single team yet last season. Yale started the game well, but when Brown scored 10 minutes in, the Elis sat back on their heels, head coach Pam Stuper said.

This year, Yale again has a better average than Brown. The Bulldogs have 35 goals to the Bears’ 25 and 110 penalty corners to the Bears’ 85. Yale has beaten two teams — Columbia and Dartmouth — to whom Brown has lost. The Elis have also won five of their last six games.

Yale has another advantage over Brown: Ashley McCauley ’10, who was named Ivy League player of the week this past Tuesday. McCauley is the Bulldog’s top scorer this year with 14 goals, seven of which came in the last two games.

Yale takes on Brown after dominating Quinniapiac 6-0 last weekend. They are in the midst of their first three-game winning streak of the season. They have the ability to beat the Bears. If they can keep their momentum, they’ll end the season on a positive note.