Baran: A progressive failure out West

Progressives have suddenly woken up to the fact that civil rights are in serious jeopardy in California. Current polls show that Proposition 8, which would amend the state constitution to eliminate equal marriage rights for same-sex couples, may be headed to victory. This would be a major setback not only for queer people, but for the progressive movement more broadly, for it would send a message from the country’s most populous and most diverse state that America is “not ready for equality.”

Some have chosen to lay the blame at the feet of queer people who have not been donating enough to the No on Prop. 8 campaign, a statewide coalition of organizations working to defeat the measure. Others have decried the proposition system itself, pointing to the likelihood of Prop. 8 passing as even more evidence (on top of Prop 209, which banned affirmative action in California) of the need to eliminate a system that is fundamentally unfair to minorities.

The biggest problem in my mind, however, is that progressives could manage to be so inattentive to this issue. For it is obvious that we — myself included — were complacent about the fate of Prop. 8. We all fell into the cultural logic that the right wing has promoted over the past several decades, which has told us that the West Coast and Northeast are bastions of liberalism, gayness and abortion. We thus fooled ourselves into thinking there was no way West Coast voters would vote against gay people, despite the fact that 26 states now have constitutional amendments banning gay marriage. Could anybody really forget the impact such ballot initiatives had in mobilizing the conservative vote in 2004?

This perhaps more than anything else demonstrates the continued power the conservative movement has in setting the terms of political discourse and action in this country, and part of why we always seem to find ourselves on the defensive with issues like this. The conservative movement is still strong, as the crowds that have flowed out to greet their new standard-bearer, Sarah Palin, have demonstrated. In some ways, they’re also madder and more vocal than ever in their vehement bigotry. And, despondent at the likely defeat of McCain, they are now moving more money and resources into California.

Now some progressives are scrambling to make an impact on this. I myself will be phone banking from home to fight the amendment, something I never would have expected I’d feel compelled to do several months ago when it first became clear Californians would be voting on the measure. I’m donating to the campaign, too.

Regardless of the outcome next week (either way, the vote will be very close), we must see this as a major failure of the progressive movement in the face of a much better-organized conservative movement that has spent decades building up local leadership and infrastructure. We can argue, of course, that Barack Obama’s election is far more important than any ballot referendum, and demonstrates the strength of the progressive infrastructure that has begun to emerge in the last eight years.

But if we are truly committed to more than just winning elections for particular candidates, we have to see the situation in California as a serious problem and warning. If we lose Tuesday in California, we cannot just hang our heads and say “oh well,” and then pop back a few more to celebrate Obama’s victory. And if we win, we’re not out of the woods either.

We cannot rest safe in the belief that the future is now secured and that progressives have an infrastructure in place for the future or that conservatives are on the wrong side of history. We need to develop the level of organization and capacity to fight all the fights that are coming our way in the coming years, and to actually win more than a few of them, and we have to start the day after Election Day. Otherwise, we’ll never stop playing defense, and more progressive futures are bound to remain out of our reach.

Hugh Baran is a senior in Davenport College.

• Alexandra Stein

Great column! People can find out how to donate and phonebank at http://www.noon8.com.

• la costeñita

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LITTLE ASIAN CHILDREN SINGING ABOUT HOW A MAN COULD BE THEIR MOM AND A WOMAN COULD BE THEIR DAD AND HOW THIS WOULD CONFUSE THEM ALL?

I used to say that minority populations were not any more anti-gay than the crazy Christians that elected George W. Bush; in fact, I used to say that minority populations had more important things to worry about.

Alas, I will no longer defend minorities:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/10/28/proposition_8/

• Hugh Baran

An email I just received from the No on 8 campaign:

Dear Hugh,

We have successfully thwarted a coordinated cyber attack on the No On 8 website. Fortunately, there was no breach in security and we are again able to accept contributions online.

A Yes on Prop 8 spokesman actually compared the right of same-sex couples to marry to the rise of Adolph Hitler and Nazi Germany. Watch the video.

http://eqfed.org/ct/97MdRGK1jXJw/

This insanity needs to stop. Prop 8 needs to be defeated.

What are you going to do about it?

Help us reach our goal of $3 million by Friday. Donate NOW!

Call, write and talk to your friends and family!

Beginning last night and continuing this morning a coordinated cyber attack on the No On 8 website prevented some donors from being able to contribute. This attack is being investigated by federal authorities. Fortunately, there was no breach in security and we are again able to accept contributions online.

As if that attack isn't outrageous enough, at a recent Prop 8 rally an official campaign spokesman actually compared the right of same-sex couples to marry to the rise of Adolph Hitler and Nazi Germany. Watch the video.

This insanity needs to stop. Prop 8 needs to be defeated. It's wrong. It's unfair. The people supporting it are fanatical, intolerant and willing to do and say anything to eliminate our rights. Period.

We cannot let them succeed.

Let's do this once and for all. Help us reach our goal of $3 million by Friday.

Tony Perkins, national crusader in the effort to eliminate the right to marry, has said the battle to pass Prop 8 is more important than the presidential election. The result is that they have raised $4.5 million in the last two days and purchased another $2 million in advertising.

That's how critical this fight is to the other side. That's how much they care.

I believe you care more. So what more are you going to do?

Call, write and talk to your friends and family. It's vital you ask them to donate today!

Make another donation.

We cannot allow this cyber attack to prevent us from having the resources necessary to get our message on the air -- especially when the other side is buying $2 million in ads a day. Please, donate now.

I know we can succeed. We have to.

In solidarity,

Geoff Kors
    Executive Committee Member
    No On 8

• California Right

I could care less about this issue and others that are being funded by people from out of state. Yes on Prop 5 and No on 8 is being funded by people from the northeast, Yes on 8 is being funded by alot of people from Utah second only to Orange county. In other words if you don't live here stay the hell out of our elections.