In Science Park, new water pipes mean new jobs.

At a meeting of the City Services and Environmental Policy committee last night, representatives from Yale and the city discussed logistics for the recent move up to Science Park. New water lines must run from the main campus to the new site in order to supply adequate resources to the area. Attendees said the project will directly benefit the community in terms of the number of jobs created.

Michael Morand ’87 DIV ’93, the vice president of the Office of New Haven and State Affairs, said an increase in power supply will be essential to the newly approved residential colleges and the planned growth in the University’s student body. The construction of a water plant and burying of new chilled water pipes, Morand explained, will also augment the number of city jobs.

“Right now, main campus provides just enough water capacity [for Yale],” Robert Smuts ’01, the chief administrative officer for New Haven, said. “A water pipe will need to connect Science Park to main campus in order to increase capacity.”

The water plant will provide the water that the University uses for its resources, Smuts said, including the cold water necessary to continue using the HVAC system, a heating, ventilating and air conditioning system that regulates humidity and temperature.

“It will allow [Yale] to produce electricity in an environmentally friendly and sustainable manner,” Morand said.

As the committee unanimously agreed to issue the license agreement, it also praised Yale for providing New Haven with more job opportunities and for the University’s noticeable cooperation with the city.

“I think [this cooperation] is a very nice change of attitude,” Ward 6 Alderwoman Dolores Colon added, “and hopefully for the future growth of the University, it will be more inclusive of the people who helped it grow.”

But another New Haven resident criticized Yale for not contributing enough to New Haven.

“Yale should not only make contributions for one year, but it should pay for what it uses,” he said. “Tax payers have been subsidizing the university for years.”

Morand countered by saying that Yale has, in fact, been providing $1.6 million in indirect income to the city budget. Yale’s projected growth will be mutually beneficial to the city, he said. By creating more construction jobs, Yale will indirectly increase city budget and employment rate, Morand said.

The property rights of 119 Water St., the relocation of underground sewer facilities and the construction of noise barrier walls along I-95 were also on the meeting’s agenda.