Has it really been a year since the grand opening of Bass Library? To celebrate, the Thain Family Café will be serving coffee, cookies and cider today between 2 and 4 p.m. But don’t expect crowds like the 1,500 who mobbed last year’s midnight opening.

In other birthday news, the turnout at Noah Webster’s 250th birthday celebration was sparse, despite the ubiquitous dining hall table tents. Most of the attendees were reporters or fourth-graders from Dixwell’s Wexler-Grant Elementary School, who each received a free dictionary.

College Night on Broadway is tonight, on Broadway. There will be free cotton candy, Plinko, a pie-eating contest, 10-50 percent discounts at area stores and restaurants, and a raffle — one lucky student will win a spring break trip for two to Costa Rica.

The Student Taskforce for Environmental Partnership is hosting a “Greenfest” on Old Campus today from 1 to 4 p.m., with sustainability-themed food, music and face painting.

Monkey-masked demonstrators from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals unfurled a banner reading “Yale Murders Monkeys” at College Street and the Route 34 overpass Thursday. Presumably no animals were harmed in the making of this protest, which marked National Primate Liberation Week. See photo, pg. 3.

An Egyptian television crew from the OTV network was on campus yesterday filming for an Egyptian State Department project. They filmed a few minutes of the Introduction to Postcolonial Literature class, then departed to get footage of Old Campus.

It’s Latino Heritage Month, and the Ballet Folklorico Mexicano de Yale will perform today at Beinecke Plaza between 1 and 2 p.m.

No-bama. Campaign signs for Sen. Obama have been removed from the windows of the Art & Architecture building. Yale is prohibited from displaying campaign signs due to its tax-exempt status.

Totally ’80s. Safety Dance. Tonight. Commons. 9 p.m. Be there.

This day in Yale history

1915 In a concerted effort to improve singing at the Yale-Princeton game, members of the Glee Club were strategically placed to lead football cheers. And not just “Boola Boola.” Whatever happened to classics like: “We’re here for Yale, for Mother Yale / Her sons both old and young / Extol her might, her glory bright / Her fame on every tongue. / Then wave the blue, that color true / Must never, never fail / And make it clear, that good old cheer / It’s three times three for Yale”?

Submit ideas to Cross Campus

crosscampus@yaledailynews.com