For the first time in three weeks, Yale field hockey only has one game this weekend. But that doesn’t mean that they can take it easy.

Throughout the season, Yale (2-7, 0-3) has played its best games against its hardest opponents, including the No. 4 University of Connecticut (10-1, 1-1), Lock Haven (10-3) and No. 2 Syracuse (12-0), head coach Pam Stuper said. But the Elis have yet to win against a team boasting an NCAA ranking or a winning record.

No. 5 University of North Carolina (9-2) has both. This Sunday, the Bulldogs play the Tar Heels in a neutral-field game at Boston College. UNC will play Boston College (7-4) on Saturday.

Hanging with UNC will not be easy. Perhaps things will be easier given that three Tar Heels — Elizabeth Drazdowski, Jackie Kintzer and Riley Foster — will be skipping Boston because they’re currently competing in the Pan American Junior Championships in Mexico City.

Still, the Heels have 48 goals so far this season. Only one opponent has kept them to one point. Two opponents have held them at two. Their top scorer this season, forward Danielle Forword, has made 16 goals this season, and is followed by Brit van Beek, with eight and Illse Davids, with six.

Ashley McCauley ’10, with five goals, remains the top scorer for the Bulldogs. Julia Weiser ’10 is second with three and Dinah Landshut ’12 has two. Overall, the team has 13 goals this season.

To win Sunday, the Bulldogs will look to play cohesively and stick to the game plan. Yale needs to attack together as a team, said captain Ali Rotondo ’09.

“We work very hard, and we practice hard, and we want to win.”