Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement, began Wednesday at sundown. The holiday is an occasion for reflection on the year that has passed and repentance for sins. Break-fast events occur tonight at 6:19 p.m., marking the beginning of a new year and a tabula rasa for all.

Looking to come out of the (proverbial) closet? A pink door will be stationed on Cross Campus all day as part of Yale’s Coming Out Week. Organized by the LGBT Co-Op, the door is a way for students to be open about their sexual preferences, whether or not they have an actual closet in their room.

Breaking away. Yale now holds sole possession of second place in the annual ranking of world universities compiled by the Times of London. Harvard remains first, but Cambridge and Oxford are now in third and fourth place respectively. See tomorrow’s News for more.

Sanctioned blackouts. As a kick-off to the intramural energy consumption competition, Project Lux, STEP is sponsoring a College-wide “lights-out event” at 9 p.m. Students can meet on Old Campus once they’ve shut off their lights; no word yet on how many students will actually black out.

Three sophomores were trapped in a Davenport bathroom for hours last night. Fed up with waiting for Yale Security, one particularly intrepid inmate climbed through the first floor window, falling 10 feet to freedom.

In other D’port news, two navy-blue couches from the Davenport Common Room were stolen late Friday evening. A college-wide e-mail went out yesterday; for the full story, see page 7.

Investment banks may not be hiring many recent Yale grads, but one alumnus had no problem entering finance. Ernesto Zedillo GRD ’81, director of the Yale Center for the Study of Globalization and former president of Mexico, will soon become chair of a new High Level Commission to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the World Bank.

Lady Liberty. A freshman cheerleader was dropped while practicing a new mount dubbed “Liberty” because of its resemblance to the famous statue. The girl was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance, reminding some on the team that freedom is not free.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1940 Enthusiastic students besieged a campaign truck for Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s campaign; engineering major David Painter ’43, curious about the “mad melee” was struck on the head and sent to the New Haven Hospital. Painter’s scalp would was not the only casualty — several trolley cars were derailed amid the chaos.