The No. 2-ranked Eli sailors dispersed across the New England area to race in several regional regattas this past weekend. The Bulldogs returned with an eighth-place finish at the Danmark Trophy, a 10th-place finish at the Smith Trophy at MIT and a sixth-place finish at the Southern Series Three hosted by Yale.

The U.S. Coast Guard Academy’s Danmark Trophy hosted a field of 20 competitive teams, including 16 of the top 20 in the country. The Danmark Trophy included two divisions, each with a different class of boat, and final scoring was calculated as a combination of the schools’ finishes in the two classes. Yale earned 212 points for an eighth-place finish; last year the Bulldogs finished second in the same regatta.

The duo of Thomas Barrows ’11 and Blair Belling ’10 scored 99 points with one first-place finish and two second-place finishes in their races. They came in seventh in the A division.

The number of races in a given regatta varies from day to day depending on the conditions, as do the courses that the sailors are expected to negotiate. Days with ideal winds and water conditions usually produce more races.

Joseph Morris ’12 and Grace Becton ’09 placed ninth in the B division. They placed in the top half of the competition in seven of 12 races and earned a total of 113 points.

“This is a pretty good regatta and there were some pretty good people there — its some of the same people we would see at nationals,” Becton said.

At the Smith Trophy at MIT, the Elis placed 10th out of a field of 27 teams. Saturday saw shifty 12-15-knot winds while Sunday featured lighter winds. Cameron Cullman ’12, Adriane Levin ’09 and Genoa Warner ’12 raced in the A division. They placed eighth overall, while Rob Struckett ’12 and Alexa Chu ’12 placed 12th in the B Division.

At home, Yale hosted the Southern Series Three event. Eleven teams of two boats each competed out of the McNay Family Sailing Center. The winds proved strong Saturday, Christipher Ell ’12 said.

“Saturday it was fairly heavy, particularly in the afternoon,” Ell said. “It made for really good sailing, and we were able to set fairly lengthy courses.”

By Sunday, Ell said, the morning rain and dying winds caused several postponements in the races.

Andrew Kurzrok ’11, Emmet Smith ’09 and Jared Shenson ’12 raced in the A Division for the Bulldogs and placed 12th. John Vrolyk ’10, Ana Pedrajo ’12 and Warner placed ninth in the B Division. The Bulldogs placed sixth as a team.

Next weekend the Eli sailors head to the New England Singlehanded Championship at Yale and the Hap Moore Team Race at Coast Guard.