Cross Campus: 10.7.08

Dwight Hall defaced As pictured on right, the words “White Guilt” were found spray-painted on the High Street wall of Dwight Hall early Tuesday morning, clearly visible from the Library Walk. Dwight Hall is the center of community service on campus.

The Yale Political Union passed the resolution, “Resolved: Bring Reserve Officers Training Corps back to campus,” Monday night during a debate keynoted by Capt. Pete Hegseth, who recently returned from Iraq. Hegseth called the Iraq war a “war of ideas and ideologies” and said the U.S. “can’t afford to not have our nation’s best and brightest in uniform.” For a more detailed account of his remarks.

No caption.
Nick Bayless
No caption.

Gary Winfield, the Democratic candidate running to represent New Haven in the Connecticut House of Representatives, was in Branford College Common Room yesterday for a meet-and-greet with Yale Democrats.

The Yale Swing Society surprised Branford and Berkeley freshmen with an impromptu Swing Dance Party Monday night in the Vanderbilt Courtyard. The free dance lesson was open to all, though students leaving their suites in the quest for a better place to study were slightly nonplussed.

Park Street residents were awakened Friday night to the sirens of police cars and an officer shouting “Spit it out, Asia, spit it out,” to a woman lying on the ground. The woman, Asia, had ingested a large amount of drugs, even more of which were found in her car.

Forks and knives have never been this interesting, especially for a student who discovered the wonders of magnetism in Commons Monday noon. A dining hall worker lectured the student on this physical phenomenon after he spent 15 minutes suspending assorted pieces of cutlery from his magnetized knife.

Five helium balloons, ostensibly left over from a class ring promotion last month, have spent two weeks stuck in a tree on Beinecke Plaza. Note to the Office of Facilities: Aluminum balloons aren’t biodegradeable.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1953 Sterling Memorial Library received an extensive face-lift. At a “dizzying height” workmen cleaned the stones and replaced chipped mortar of the nation’s (then) fourth-largest library.

"White Guilt," like "Nigger School" or "Drama Fags," is another said instance of hate. Whereas last year's graffiti sought to make it uncomfortable for Black and LGBT students (and Drama students, really…) to be at Yale, this graffiti seeks to make White students concerned with social justice and racial equality uncomfortable by branding them as traitors to their own.

Now all the facets of White Supremacy, which includes hate towards Whites who do not support the ideology, have been revealed.

Instead of pointing fingers or pontificating on who was involved, let's just take this time to realize what still lurks in our society and to rededicate ourselves to the belief that "no one should be made to think of themselves as anything other than normal, acceptable, and united with other people."**

Con amor,
    Luis

**quote courtesy of Ted E.

• J

So #1, you're saying that those who harbor profound hatred should not "be made to think of themselves as anything other than normal, acceptable, and united with other people?"

I think they're abnormal, and they should feel as much.

• 08Alum

This is a sad and deplorable act. Dwight Hall is the best institution that Yale has to offer, and the student leaders who selflessly volunteer there as tutors, mentors, and activists, among others, deserve our full support as a Yale and New Haven community. I expect to see a full University response to this disgusting act.

• Alum.

This is just another cheaply bought provocation by some pathetic fool who derives pleasure from observing Yale's collective writhing and exasperation. Shrug it off.

• 2010

The same phrase was spray-painted on buildings at two local private schools:

http://www.wtnh.com/global/story.asp?s=9138664