‘Bro’-cial network to debut

“Social, athletic, upwardly mobile” young men — “bros,” to some — looking for a venue to share stories of weekend revelries and exchange tips on romantic endeavours need search no longer.

Brobible.com, a national organization with an emerging chapter at Yale, will launch an online forum Oct. 15. Its tagline: “Every Bro Has A Story.”

And apparently the stories of Yale’s “bros” are worth telling.

Representatives from the Web site were present at the tailgate for last Saturday’s Yale-Georgetown football game to promote interest in the site. In fact, Yale was the first stop on their tour of “every seminal Bro event across the country,” said Douglas Banker, the site’s founder, chief executive officer and chief marketer.

“Brobible.com is a resource and forum for a very specific demographic to share stories, seek advice, ask questions and ultimately stay connected,” said Banker, a recent graduate of the University of Richmond and self-proclaimed “Bro.” “Everyone we met at Yale really embraced the idea. We made some good inroads.”

Through his experience in the music industry, Banker said, he has compiled a database of several thousand names from event guest lists. Looking at the database, he said, inspired him to create a social network for Bros, a group he thought was in dire need of organized resources.

“There’s nothing out there tailored for their needs,” Banker said of his target demographic of males age 18 to 24. “They all want to learn from each other and grow and go on to do great things. We want to be able to help them in that process.”

Upon creating a profile — or brofile, as it were — a Brobible user will first enter the main part of the site, called “Unleash” — essentially a blog, where Bros can share experiences or reach out to others for advice.

The site, Banker emphasized, is not about reveling in debauchery.

“If you want to be an active participant you’ll generate a lot of valuable, interesting and stimulating content that every Bro can relate to,” Banker said. “This will be done in a very tasteful way, not just glorifying drinking and hooking up with girls. We want this to be a respected and trusted resource.”

Another component of Brobible that Banker said he is particularly excited about is the Locker Room, where Bros can organize their subset networks of friends, such as those from their hometown, teammates or fraternity brothers. A Sigma Alpha Epsilon brother himself, Banker said the site is not exclusively for fraternities, but for any man who shares in the interest of having a good time and in the general “Bro lifestyle.”

As with other social networking sites, Bros will also be able to upload media such as pictures, video and audio. There is no fee or subscription required.

Some Yale students, though intrigued by the site, said they were apprehensive about the terminology.

“You would really have to be a Bro to self-identify as a Bro,” Jesse Maiman ’10 said. “It would have to be undeniable.”

Added Marshall Pailet ’09: “I guess for people that are so hardcore about their ‘Brosephing,’ this could be their sanctuary.”

George Cook ’12 said he was at Saturday’s tailgate but did not notice the Brobible.com booth. Still, he said, he would be interested in checking out the site, even though he is not in a fraternity.

In regards to any potential chauvinism that could permeate the all-male site, Sigrid von Wendel, a female freshman in Pierson noted, “For better or for worse, I don’t think it will be any different [from usual fraternity dynamics]. I think because it’s public it will probably be less about girls and more about networking. It’s not like some guy is going to mention some really hot girl in Ohio, you know?”

Interested bros can preregister on the site before its official launch next month.

• Ferny

…and the western world continues to crumble all around us…

• El nino

I saw you in the photograph for this story George! Open your eyes!!

is this a joke??

a bro-site?? seriously…

Wait. This is news?

because yale needs another all male networking group… as if the first 200 years weren't enough.

• Nic B

Until halfway through this article I thought it was about a new site for Ivy League gay hookups…

I guess there are substantial similarities…

• ike

what an idiot

• right

I'm pretty sure this is not news. Not only that, I think I thought of the world as a happier place before I knew about this.

• Hieronymus

While this is perhaps…silly, it is no more so than any "sisterhood" analog, which would likely accrue accolades galore for somehow bolstering the oppressed underclasses of Yale womyn.

The problem with this website is that it sounds like it caters to WASPy, privileged frat boys and athletes.

• Hieronymus

See? #10 hits the nail on the head: racism and classism rear its ugly head. No,not from the website, but among CRITICS of the website. Gee, sounds just like former Dean Brodhead condemning the "WASPy, privileged frat boys and athletes" for their non-crime (Duke LaX).

So, once again: ethnic houses? Check! Womyn's center? Check! Male bonding site? EEEEeeeeeK! Racistheteronormativefascistpigdog! EeeeeK!

• td08

oh, no. not again. sounds like zeta psi is only 20 days away from another women's center debacle.

I often don't agree with Hieronymus, but this time she/he is right on.

• Coach K

you guys are stupid. this just might be crazy enough to work….hail to the bible!!!

• embarassing

this is an embarrassingly bad article on an embarrassing entrepreneurial endeavor. shame on both of you, YDN and Douglas Banker.

sincerely,
    a brother (not a "bro") of a fraternity