Briefly: AIDS research gets $11 million grant

Yale University’s Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS, one of eight HIV research centers in the country, announced yesterday it will receive a grant of $11 million from the National Institute of Mental Health, which will help fund another five years of HIV/AIDS research and health-care projects. The aid will allow the Center to continue to support Connecticut-based HIV/AIDS research, launch pilot projects to increase the research capacity of community-based organizations, and better implement interventions to reduce HIV transmission. The grant comes at a time when the rate of new HIV infections in the country clocks in at higher than previously calculated, according to the CDC.

• AIDS history at Yale:25 years

Yale has an interesting connection to AIDS history, epidemiology and New Haven prostitutes, a group which seems to be the object of police attention in New Haven these days.
    In 1984 "60 Minutes" came to Yale and interviewed then Chief of Immunology at Yale New Haven Hospital, Dr. John Dwyer, about a prostitute and heroin addict who had given birth to a baby with AIDS.(see "Helen" story in 60 Minutes archive with Morley Safer)
    This tv segment seen by 25 million viewers, threw a Typhoid Mary scare into New Haven and alerted the country that AIDS could be transmitted by women as well as men---in other words that AIDS was not a gay disease. Yale's chaplain at the time even agreed to try to raise funds to pay this prostitute's rent and grocery bill if she would agree to stay off the streets.
    The resulting years of national debate caused massive publicity about the particulars of safe sex and massive infusion of funds into AIDS research.
    Yale Daily News might point out the contribution that this prostitute's life and death and the life and death of her infant made to informing the world
    that AIDS could be transmitted by females as well as males and that safe sex is an important issue for both genders to practice.
    At a time when prostitutes are being bashed by thhe Press it is well to remember the complexity of an issue involving Yale and the oldest profession in ther world