Education Dept. expands investigation into Princeton’s admissions procedures

The Department of Education is broadening its investigation into a complaint filed by an applicant to Princeton University who was denied admission, Princeton officials announced this week.

Princeton will provide information to the department’s Office for Civil Rights on the admissions procedures used to admit the class of 2010, the university said in a statement. Previously, federal officials had focused primarily on the decision-making process involved in the rejection of the student who filed the complaint, Jian Li.

The federal investigation began in 2006 when Li claimed that Princeton rejected him because of his race and Asian national origin. He said the university sets caps on the number of students it accepts from certain racial groups.

Princeton officials again denied that any discrimination occurred against Li.

Li, who was rejected from Harvard, Stanford, MIT and the University of Pennsylvania in addition to Princeton, enrolled at Yale but has since transferred to Harvard.

Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Jeff Brenzel declined to comment.

For an earlier story on Jian Li’s suit, visit this story: Anti-Asian bias alleged (11.15.06)

• anonymously

More power to Jian Li! Good luck to you at Harvard College.

• Y '10

He actually transferred to Harvard? What an attention/prestige whore.

Haha. What a tool. Imagine what the Harvard admissions guys were thinking when they got another application from him: "Ahh sh*t…"

• princeton08

"enrolled at yale?" don't you mean "accepted at yale?" but of course you guys didn't want to point out that a student rejected from all the other top universities (and UPenn) was nonetheless accepted at yale. it might make your school like even lamer than it has this past year in the news.

He enrolled at the university and then transferred to harvard his sophomore year!

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't have built them with Robertson Foundation money, Princeton '08.

princeton08, I thought it was obvious given that acceptance is a necessary condition for enrollment… Princeton really needs to get (some of) their students to brush up on their reading comprehension skills.

My sentiments exactly, poster #2. There must be some reason all the others rejected him, and then, fortunate enough to be accepted by Yale - he rejects Yale. Yale, be thankful that you no longer have him on your hands. Let Harvard deal with whatever his next set of issues will be, and I'm sure there will be more issues to follow.

• @P08

And you're reading another school's news website and calling them lame? Sounds a little bitter to me. Only someone unnecessarily obsessed with admission would consider a kid accepted at Yale but not at Princeton a black mark comparable to abortion art or any of the other "stuff" that has happened this year. Grow up.

While it might be amusing to respond to P-U Ate, Yalies all know, Pee-Yoo just doesn't matter.
    That's why it is only apt that someone concerned about being rejected by Pee-Yoo is actually a Harvard student.

Yale's decision on this fellow, confirmed by Harvard's reversal of its rejection leaves Princeton's judgment on the same side as Penn. Pity poor Penn…

• princeton08

My point -- for those who could appreciate nuance -- was that the word "enrolled" (less efficacious than "accepted", especially in a sentence revealing that the same student was rejected from all the other top schools) was intentionally used to lessen the impact. "Enrolled" carries a connotation of intent and agency on the part of the student, whereas "accepted" makes the university complicit. You guys are all calling him a loser, but face it, YOUR UNIVERSITY accepted him. They deemed him a perfect fit, a true Yalie. Indeed…one of you.

Oh and apparently your school officials cover up molestation scandals involving young boys too, eh? You guys must be so proud. Crazy abortion art chick, guy with guns, and skeezy european guy making a porno without dumb american girl knowing it all look tame compared to this latest embarrassment. I hope the poor abused kid gets every penny he asks for.

It seems to me that "enrolled" is a more appropriate word than "accepted", since the whole purpose of the paragraph is to point out that, not only was he accepted here, but he actually attended Yale for one year, before transferring and ENROLLING at a different university. But sure, let's go with your interpretation, that Caitlin Roman consciously changed a single word to make our Admissions Office, and the University at-large, look better. Yeah, that makes more sense.

Doesn't a recent Ivy League grad have better things to do than troll other college dailies' message boards? I guess you were just sick of reading the consistently racist writings of the Daily Princetonian's editorial board. Yeah, other people know how to go through the ivygate archives too.

Yes, apparently Yale accepted him and still couldn't find space for you. Anything else you'd like to add?

FYI, I don't know if he took the first 2400-SAT or not. There were 117 out of 300,000 got perfect 2400 points in that March test.

• Loser: Princeton08

Princeton08, I don't know what you're trying to prove. At the end of the day, Yale has a lower acceptance rate, higher yield rate, and students with higher SAT scores than Princeton. Get over yourself.

• princeton08

And yet we're higher ranked than Yale, in fact number 1 in the U.S. World News report while Yale falls behind Harvard at number 3? I don't think these stupid lists mean anything, but if you're going to get into a pissing contest about SAT scores (which is absurd, there is no evidence than the average Yalie has a higher SAT score and even then, when did SAT scores become the arbiter of intelligence??) then I can whip out my dick too. There is persuasive evidence on any side of the Harvard-Princeton-Yale debate. My point was only that the word "enrolled" was purposely used, and I was amused that Yale was the only top school to choose this kid, yet you all instantly began calling him pathetic and a loser.

But I should have known better than to expect you guys to follow a logical argument. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an abortion to self induce for an art class, guns to hide in my room, an illegal sex tape to create and a little boy to molest.

Oh wait no, my mistake. That's you.

"And yet we're higher ranked than Yale, in fact number 1 in the U.S. World News report while Yale falls behind Harvard at number 3? I don't think these stupid lists mean anything,…then I can whip out my dick too."

Are you really this stupid? I think you obsessive preoccupation with the word choice of a writer of another college's newspaper shows the mindset of someone who really needs to get a life. Do you find yourself muttering "enrolled, accepted," "enrolled, accepted," "enrolled, accepted" …

A suggestion, read the article on this site about squirrels -- maybe in their preoccupation with nuts, you'll find some kindred spirits.

• Princeton08

More obfuscation! I was responding to an absurd statement made by another poster Anonymous. But good to see that you would rather distract from the real topic (my original conceit) than actually deal with/discuss it. And yes words are important Anonymous. Very important. One would think that a student in one of the best universities in the country would not be so uncritical, so narrow-minded, so anti-intellectual when it comes to reading a text closely. One would think…but I'm really not that surprised actually.

But please, feel free to continue debating in this childish, incurious way -- it only fortifies the argument on my end.

• An alumnus view

I don't know what drives his Li kid as a person, but I applaud his efforts in general. As a Yale alumnus and now a medical school faculty, there is no doubt that there is a bias against Asian American males. It is as insidious and pervasive as anti-African American bias, but schools can get away with it because there is also a horde of Asian scholars (versus Asian American) coming to U.S. However, these Asians largely serve as 21st Century version of "high tech coolies," filling desperate needs in cheap post doc or non-tenure track research positions. To deny this is happening - even at Yale - is to deny reality.

• je2010

if you think it's great that less qualified students get into Yale because they share a skin tone with an academically underperforming racial group, then you have to also think it's great that more qualified students don't get into Yale because they share a skin tone with an academically overperfoming racial group.

there _are_ a finite number of spots. there's no free lunch to be found here.

• BR10

Li might have had a point if it weren't for the fact that all but one of his top choice schools rejected him. But considering it wasn't just Princeton, the thinking person has to assume there were reasons for his rejection other than race.

Also, Princeton08, who thinks words are oh-so-important: your intended use of the word "conceit" doesn't work in that context (ie, it is not a synonym for "assertion" or "contention"). Luckily, your unintended use does (ie, you seem to be pretty conceited).