To the Editor:

Free speech invites counter-speech, so we, the members of the pro-choice community at Yale, are issuing this response to the actions of Aliza Shvarts ’08.

Although we stand by the right to reproductive freedom, we cannot approve of her approach and presentation. The facts concerning the controversy remain unclear, but the consequences are very real and must be addressed. Like most who have heard of these events, we are shocked by the content of the art piece in question and the manner in which very serious aspects of reproductive rights have been treated. We seek to protect the rights of real women and real families who deal with real issues of health, safety and access.

The reproductive-justice movement brings people from all walks of life together around the goal of improving the lives of women and families. We are dedicated to ensuring that comprehensive sexual education is available to all and that prenatal care, postnatal care, contraception and abortion services remain legal, available and free from coercion, discrimination and violence.

These are issues with serious impact on society as a whole. We have the utmost respect for those who have struggled with conception or made personal decisions about pregnancy and abortion, and we hope that this situation will not be used as an excuse to trivialize these subjects, but will rather bring to light their complexity and the seriousness with which we all must pursue the security of reproductive health and freedom.

The Executive Boards of the Reproductive Rights Action League at Yale (RALY) and the Yale Law Students for Reproductive Justice

April 20