Yale College admissions rate drops to 8.3 percent

Yale College posted an Ivy League record-low acceptance rate this year, as the total acceptance rate dropped 1.3 percentage points from last year’s initial rate to 8.3 percent for the class of 2012.

Yale accepted 1,892 students out of the 22,813 total early and regular applicants for the class of 2012, Dean of Admissions Jeff Brenzel told the News on Monday. The acceptance rate will increase slightly if students are accepted from the waitlist, Brenzel added.

None of the other Ivy League schools had released their admissions statistics for this year as of Monday evening, although all of them were scheduled to release their admissions decisions Monday. It is possible that other schools may undercut Yale’s acceptance rate once these numbers are released.

Yale accepted 1,007 applicants out of the 17,925 who applied regular decision in January, for a regular decision admit rate of 5.6 percent. An additional 1,052 students were offered positions on the waitlist, up 22.5 percent from last year’s waitlist of 859. Out of the 4,888 students who applied early action to Yale in November, 885 were accepted for an 18.1 percent acceptance rate.

Like last year, the University is aiming to matriculate a class of 1,320, Brenzel said. While the admissions office does expect to take students off the waitlist, Brenzel said he cannot predict how many will ultimately be offered places at Yale.

Yale’s acceptance rate rose last year to 9.6 percent — ultimately 9.9 percent after students were accepted from the waitlist — from a previous Ivy League record-low acceptance rate of 8.9 percent for the class of 2010. This figure was initially reported as 8.6 percent immediately after acceptance letters were mailed but eventually increased to 8.9 percent after students were taken off the waitlist, Brenzel said.

Yale, along with many of its Ivy League peers, received a record number of applications this year.

The total number of applications for Yale’s class of 2012 increased 18 percent over last year’s total of 19,323 applications. Early applications this year rose a whopping 36 percent over last year’s total.

• monkeypants

In other news, YDN reporter remains willfully ignorant of harvard and princeton's complete lack of early admissions

I think it is time for Yale and other first rank schools to do what Yale did for the first group of female applicants in 1968-69: Yale sent a screening application first, then selected applicants were sent a full application. I remember being honored just to have made the cut, to receive the application.

US News & World Report has so skewed the application and admissions procedures that the situation is totally out of hand. It should not be standard practice that high school seniors apply to so many colleges, and it is absurd that there are over 20,000 applicants for a school with fewer than 2000 in a class.

It is hard to believe that college admissions officers - presumably all smart people - have permitted this situation to develop as a result of the way US News ranks colleges. It is not good for the top rank colleges, and it is worse for the hundreds of good colleges all over the country.

• anonymous

@#2: Right on! It would benefit high school seniors to know if they even have a chance before they fill out lengthy apps. And the extent of the whole "college ranking" thing is kind of ridiculous…

• IvyHugger

Of course we all think this ranking system is ridiculous. That is once we were admitted to the top school on the list. Us at the top certainly feel sorry for the chaps at the public schools. If we weren't so hungry for the ratings to prove our intellectual gifts in being accepted, there would be no ranking system.

• sadbuttrue

I am speaking on behalf of the class of 2009 when I say that we have the most kids nation wide(due to the baby boom), that said, even MORE applications are going to go to schools such as Yale, so my concern is why doesnt Yale understand this? Why does Yale have to shrink the acceptance rate even more, if there is going to be more competition that we cannot get rid of? WHO, JUST WHO is good enough? What else can you do?! It is so frustrating!