Yale College posted an Ivy League record-low acceptance rate this year, as the total acceptance rate dropped 1.3 percentage points from last year’s initial rate to 8.3 percent for the class of 2012.

Yale accepted 1,892 students out of the 22,813 total early and regular applicants for the class of 2012, Dean of Admissions Jeff Brenzel told the News on Monday. The acceptance rate will increase slightly if students are accepted from the waitlist, Brenzel added.

None of the other Ivy League schools had released their admissions statistics for this year as of Monday evening, although all of them were scheduled to release their admissions decisions Monday. It is possible that other schools may undercut Yale’s acceptance rate once these numbers are released.

Yale accepted 1,007 applicants out of the 17,925 who applied regular decision in January, for a regular decision admit rate of 5.6 percent. An additional 1,052 students were offered positions on the waitlist, up 22.5 percent from last year’s waitlist of 859. Out of the 4,888 students who applied early action to Yale in November, 885 were accepted for an 18.1 percent acceptance rate.

Like last year, the University is aiming to matriculate a class of 1,320, Brenzel said. While the admissions office does expect to take students off the waitlist, Brenzel said he cannot predict how many will ultimately be offered places at Yale.

Yale’s acceptance rate rose last year to 9.6 percent — ultimately 9.9 percent after students were accepted from the waitlist — from a previous Ivy League record-low acceptance rate of 8.9 percent for the class of 2010. This figure was initially reported as 8.6 percent immediately after acceptance letters were mailed but eventually increased to 8.9 percent after students were taken off the waitlist, Brenzel said.

Yale, along with many of its Ivy League peers, received a record number of applications this year.

The total number of applications for Yale’s class of 2012 increased 18 percent over last year’s total of 19,323 applications. Early applications this year rose a whopping 36 percent over last year’s total.