Harvard Law tuition to be tied to public service

Just months after Harvard unveiled a financial-aid overhaul for undergraduates that left other universities, including Yale, scrambling to keep pace, Harvard Law School announced last week what Harvard administrators pitched as a similar tuition shake-up.

Harvard will now forgive the third year of tuition for law students who commit to at least five years of public service after graduation. Officials in Cambridge billed the new aid plan as the first program to offer tuition incentives for students to enter public service, a less lucrative career track than private practice.

But Yale Law School officials rushed to prevent Harvard’s well-hyped announcement from upstaging their own loan-assistance programs and public-service initiatives.

“Our view is that we’ve been leaders in public interest for a very long time — the mission of the Law School has always been to educate lawyers and leaders,” Associate Dean Mark Templeton said. “If others want to catch up to what we’ve done, that’s good for the world.”

Since 1989, Yale Law School has forgiven student loans based on post-graduation income. So graduates earning less in public service — or any other less profitable career — do not shoulder as much of the debt as their classmates who become well-paid partners in private law firms. Harvard Law also has a program to help low-income graduates repay loans.

Yale Law School Dean Harold Hongju Koh said he applauds efforts by other schools to encourage students to enter public service — an area in which he said Yale excels by virtue of its institutional culture.

“Every school should in their own way increase the number of graduates who make public interest a part of their lives,” he said. “We are less interested in ad hoc financial incentive than in a culture of public spiritedness. That culture of public spiritedness is really what creates lawyers who care about the public interest … and is the thing that is going to have the most impact in the long term.”

At Yale, Templeton said, a dedication to public service is an admissions criterion for many of the faculty and colors the institution’s philosophy on the duty of the legal profession.

“Lawyers are uniquely positioned to think about the interest of their immediate clients as well as larger social objectives,” he said. “That’s always been what Yale Law School has done — it courses through our veins.”

Yale’s pre-existing loan-repayment-assistance program was designed to prevent law-school debt from swaying graduates’ career choices, Templeton said. Yale’s program is flexible, Templeton said, assisting graduates working in non-profits, government, international organizations or smaller, less profitable firms.

And whereas Harvard’s tuition break comes with a binding five-year commitment under which the university takes its money back if the student drops out, Yale’s program allows people to enter and exit until the loans are paid off.

“There are different ways of making sure that people have financial support to pursue public-interest careers,” he said. “You have to look at results and substance. Form is secondary.’ ”

Harvard Law School Dean Elena Kagan was traveling this week and could not be reached for comment.

Besides financial incentives for public-service work, Templeton also touted Yale’s resources and curricular emphasis on public-interest law through clinics, fellowships and career support — what he called a “cradle-to-grave” approach.

About 60 percent of Yale Law students participate in public-interest work during the academic year, and 80 percent enroll in at least one clinic over their three years.

Unlike Harvard, Yale Law School does not have a pro bono hour requirement “because Yale students always exceed any number you could pick,” Koh said.

Between 9 and 12 percent of Harvard Law graduates enter public service in their first non-clerkship job, compared to about 15 percent from Yale.

The cost of Harvard’s initiative would depend on how many students take advantage of the offer but is estimated at $3 million annually. Yale’s loan program costs about $2.4 million last year.

Tuition at both Yale and Harvard Law School exceeds $40,000 a year.

• Anon

It should be noted (and should have been in this article) that the third-year tuition cut will operate in addition to Harvard's existing loan repayment program (LRAP). As Yale has a similar LRAP set up, I find Mark Templeton's suggestion that Harvard is catching up to what Yale has done to be rather disingenuous. Does Yale have a secret additional public service aid program? If not, give credit where credit is due and get over yourselves.

"And whereas Harvard’s tuition break comes with a binding five-year commitment under which the university takes its money back if the student drops out, Yale’s program allows people to enter and exit until the loans are paid off."
    Loses its punch in light of the fact that Harvard Law's LRAP will continue to exist…

Typical YDN Harvard-centrism and Harvard-envy.

• ac826
  • JMaxMikitish

Hello,
    I honestly appreciated your comments on my last article (“Missing classes” or whatever the editors titled it). Better to be criticized (especially so strongly) than damned by faint praise (or, for that matter, get no feedback at all, as was the case with my two pieces previous!). While I don’t agree with your arguments, you certainly revealed some flaws with mine, at least as written. Particularly, my invocation of “languages of culture” should probably have been qualified. I meant “the languages of culture of the time”. Times have changed, and I’d be the first to say that German’s probably not as useful as it was 100 years ago. That’s why I took five years of Spanish and am on my third year of Chinese, but am only in my second semester of German and have only studied written French on my own. By the way, I’d like to write on theology and politics, but, amusingly at the time, when I submitted my columnist application to the news, I suggested three topic areas. My first choice was theology and religious life, my second choice was politics, and my third choice was language. The opinion editor wrote back, “We love the language idea”. So language it is. I remember that the second column I submitted dealt with etymological anecdotes. “Couldn’t we make this a little more relevant?” she wrote. That particular column was never published. Since then it’s been language policy and language-at-Yale kind of stuff.
    In any case, I hope you keep reading my stuff! I appreciate it.
    The best,
    Max

• JMaxMikitish

By the way, why do you assume we’d have much to agree on in the realms of theology and politics? Have we met?

• CrazyBus

You make some of the best comments. Been reading what you write on the News Views, and it’s great.

• saybrookblog

why this account is no more…?

http://saybrookblog.com