Change your Prospect of campus with the times

It might be unsurprising, given how liberal we are most of the time, that when Yalies take conservative positions, we tend to be pretty dumb about it.

I’m referring to the last-gasp outcry surrounding the expansion of Yale College, which the Yale Corporation will undoubtedly rubber-stamp by the week’s end. Students have decided that two residential colleges should not be added at all — and certainly not at the selected Prospect Street site — because the expansion will damage “campus culture.” As grateful as I am to hear that phrase coming from people who aren’t me, it seems like a ridiculous moment to use it. Since when is it the job of the institutional bureaucracy to embrace the new and that of the youth to oppose it in favor of “the way we’ve always done things”?

Besides, it’s a waste of time — expansion seems to be a done deal. But the transitional era, the years between now and the new colleges opening, will be key in determining what happens when they do. To justify our conservatism, we need to identify the exact values we’re afraid of losing (rather than trying to protect the obsolete system itself) and justify these values in terms of our individual experiences — the only area in which we have more expertise than the Corporation. Only then will we, or Yale, be able to construct suitable solutions.

Take, for example, the claim that the Prospect Street location is “isolated” from the rest of campus. The administration dismisses these concerns by assuring us an improved bus system will make it easier for students to get to the new colleges from the old, and that extra features such as rehearsal and retail spaces will “draw” interest to the area. It seems as if Yale sees an integrated campus as a scale, and is trying to stack incentives on one side, so student opinion will tip toward viewing the new colleges as part of the campus center.

This isn’t how it works; what we consider to be familiar isn’t based on a calculation of where we spend the most time. Instead, we mentally organize our campus based with subjective perceptions gained by just walking around. Anyone who doubts this should try entering Cross Campus by cutting across the parking lot across from Hendrie Hall — it looks entirely different than from the north-south path that links Old Campus to Beinecke Plaza. Those three blocks, with the similarly broad and open squares of the residential colleges that surround them, provide a model for how walking around campus should feel.

The area north of Grove Street, including the site for the new colleges, is nothing like that. The buildings on Prospect become more spatially and architecturally isolated the closer they get to Science Hill — leaving the walker feeling vulnerable, especially to wind. (It doesn’t help that the first block of the walk is alongside Grove Street Cemetery.) Furthermore, most buildings in the area currently serve very particular purposes, from department offices to DUH — so when a student walks northward these days, it’s almost always a journey with a single destination in mind, after which the student will return immediately to the embracing valley of central campus.

Placing multipurpose and residential spaces on Prospect Street will change the way we think of the area to some extent, but Yale would only reinforce the idea that the new colleges are “distant” from campus by encouraging students to use bus transportation (currently associated almost exclusively with going off-campus) to get there. Even if it insists that Yale remain a walking campus, the administration can’t change the unsettling feeling a journey beyond SSS presents, and there’s no problem with that — some aspects of student culture have to be shaped by students themselves.

And if we start now, we can shape it for the better — even though none of us will still be around as undergraduates by the time the new colleges actually open. While the fact that the entire population of the Yale College community turns over every four years makes the claim of a static “campus culture” especially ridiculous, it gives individual students a great deal of autonomy in affecting general attitudes just by changing their own behavior and passing it down to younger generations.

Let’s start orienting ourselves toward the future so that the campus culture we value can be preserved beforehand by our own actions. Walk around the north of campus more often. Tour the Grove Street Cemetery. Make impulse visits to Swing Space and TD. If we start now to expand our collective definition of the heart of Yale’s campus, we may find, when we return for our 20-year reunions, that students in the new colleges feel less isolated than we feared they would — and we might feel oddly comfortable on Prospect Street ourselves.

Dara Lind is now a junior in Branford College. Her column runs on alternate Thursdays.

• Kayam Rajaram

Without taking a position on the topic at hand (I'm not an undergrad), this was a very well written piece.

• alum

Good piece. However, it is not about what students can or should do, it is about what they actually will do. Most students will choose to wake up 5 minutes before class and walk a block if they can. Same goes for social life. Of course students and faculty CAN visit their new friends in the new colleges a mile away, but will they actually?

• Old Blue '73

The full report addresses the perception of that long block walk as being farther than it is. The report suggests trying to get the cemetary handlers to permit replacing the wall along Prospect with a wrought iron fence and place in the ground floor of the sterile Becton Building a coffee shop or other people gathering places so that block would not feel so much like a tunnel.

• KT

Doesn't it seem heavy-handed to ask the cemetery to change their walls in order to make the walk more inviting? And the proposal in the report to ask the cemetery to open a gate on the north end to allow students to cut through was just disgusting. While the people buried in the cemetery aren't around anymore, it's a sacred site for their families and shouldn't be disrespected by reducing it to a throughway.

• Rudy

I'm ambivalent about the cemetery proposals. It doesn't hurt for the university to ask. The cemetery trustees could say go pound sand. Are people buried there remembered more if the living walk through there or can see into it more? I used to jog in there in good weather or walk there when I wanted a peaceful, quiet outdoor place to do some thinking. I wonder if the wall along Prospect keeps a lot of the traffic noise out or if it's not really tall enough to make much of a difference on noise. The walkthrough idea doesn't bother me unless littering became a problem. But then you could just lock the gate and give up the experiment.

• y12

Very well written piece.

It is a very valid point that to suggest buses or any kind of light rail would change things far more than the moderate distance walk would.

To posters above, I do not think opening the cemetery up is disrespectful at all. Arlington Cemetery is trafficked by millions, and has numerous thoroughfares and boundary roads which do nothing to erode its sanctity. While the dead in Grove street may be slightly less distinguished, their memories and families are not ill served by the presence of passerby.

Thanks to Ms. Lind for writing such an excellent article. I really enjoyed it and completely agree with each of her arguments, especially that student should shift their attention to shaping the integration of the new colleges rather than fighting it. Bravo!

• Hieronymus

Dear Powers That Be: can it be? A voice of relative reason in a wilderness of irrationality?

Please tell me that Ms. Lind belongs not to some fringe element, e.g., libertarians or conservatives… I would hate for her reasonableness to be under constant attack from the unthinking-but-emotive Left.

Keep up the good work!