Quinnipiac students politically engaged despite News report

To the Editor:

In response to Nicolas Niarchos’ article: “At Quinnipiac, students unmoved by election” (2/6):

My name is Dan Bateson. I’m a political science student at Quinnipiac; and was offended, yet again, by the News when I read its most recent QU-bashing article. Does the staff really have nothing better to do than observe how Quinnipiac students were seemingly unaffected by the election?

I, for one, did pay close attention to the primary coverage from my dorm-room, as did many other students on campus. The article failed to mention the 75 percent of students who reside out-of-state, such as myself (N.H.), who have either already voted, or have obtained absentee ballots from their home states and mailed in their votes. After reading this article, I, once again, felt disrespected by the News, a newspaper which has made a name for itself at QU for continuously bashing the students who reside there.

On another note, what gives the staff at the News the right to criticize the students who choose to go clubbing Thursday-Saturday? If that’s how they like to blow off steam at the end of the week, that’s their decision. The staff should take the time to come by campus on a weekday, or during finals week and write a story about the strict study habits of the students in the Health Services program or of those on the Pre-Law track. That, I feel, would be a more accurate and equal portrayal of the student body. I really don’t see the intrigue of the “Slut Busses,” which Yale would also have if the clubs weren’t within walking distance from the campus.

I am proud to be a student here at Quinnipiac University, where the students know how to work hard and buckle down when the time comes. We also know how to have fun, which has been explained all too well by the staff there at the News.

Above all, I am proud to be a member of a community where outsiders are not disrespected or jested, and where the diversity of ethnicity, ideas, hobbies and interests is promoted and not criticized.

Daniel Bateson

Feb. 7

The writer is an undergraduate at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Conn.

• Embarrased Eli

Thanks, Dan. I apologize on behalf of all those Yale students who think the Yale campus obsession with Quinnipiac bashing is disturbing and unbecoming people who pretend to be mature adults. I assure you that the campus is not unanimous in the opinions you perceive, but that is no recompense because the obnoxious ones are also the loud ones.

The elitism is sickening. Our schools should be finding local projects to work on together, not degrading each other.

Regarding Toads, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. If you're complaining, Yalies, you're at Toads, too, so stop complaining.

• Ben, a high school observer

Dan's point is well taken. Yale students do not have the corner--in any sense of the imagination--on the political scene. Yes, Yalies obviously have many venues which they can attend that offer them numerous occasions to interact with politicos from around the world. But, yes Yale--there are other students attending schools in the New Haven area who are astute observeras of the poitical scene. The News staff would serve their readership better by encouraging students from the area to work together to forge a collegiate alliance to making New Haven a better place to work and live. That would be constructive--and that would demonstate true leadership. Quinnipiac bashing is easy--the problem is Yale--and Yale's perception of herself as the educational hub of the New Haven area. At Yale--life revolves around Yalies--do not be deceived by your self-importance--there are others out there--just folks--who care about the November election as well.

• Yalie

I don't see why "Slut Busses" was brought into the equation, the article never mentioned them. I don't really think it was criticizing QU students for going to Toad's but making a semi-humorous allusion, which doesn't really matter. The observance was simple, as supported by QU students, QU doesn't care enough about politics. Note the sophomore's use of the words "even much of a concern."
    The article doesn't really attack QU, but shows yet another institution in the grip of the apathy that has seized America. Yes, the odd QU student can read it and say "hey, I'm politically engaged," but if people from their politics programs are saying that QU students don't care about the state of politics in this crumbling country, I think it does say something definite about QU students.
    Perhaps this article will spur more political engagement, although it does seem a little unnecessary.