Zeta Psi apologizes for its members’ ‘lack of judgment’

The brothers of Zeta Psi Fraternity and all those affiliated with the organization wish to address and revoke the recent statements made by a faction of our members. We accept full responsibility in regard to the offensive comments made in a recently circulated photograph via the Internet. In no way do the statements made reflect the sentiments of the Zeta Psi Fraternity of North America, the Eta Chapter at Yale, or its members.

All of the individuals involved wish to issue a formal apology to the female community, those directly or indirectly affected, as well as the Yale University community at large. We realize that the photographed actions were inappropriate, and we send our regards to any and all offended parties. The intentions of everyone involved were not to harm anyone socially or psychologically; rather, it was a lapse in the judgement of the group as a public organization. We accept responsibility for these events, and have since recognized the severity of our actions.

Every single member would like to stress our utmost respect for the female student body. Our words depicted in the photograph were disrespectful and, even in jest, they have had an unintended negative and hurtful effect on our fellow students. For this we are deeply sorry, and would ask our peers and our community to accept our heartfelt apology. In the future, behavior of this nature will neither be enacted nor tolerated, and we only hope that our peers can forgive the mistakes made in this situation. The officers of the fraternity are open and willing to meet with the leaders of the Yale Women’s Center to discuss this issue further and address solutions to this kind of irresponsible behavior.

Jon Charest is the Chapter President of the Eta Chapter of the Zeta Psi Fraternity of North America.

Every single member, huh? Why don;t you list your names if you'r eowning up to this.

For shame. You should also be apologizing to your pledges, for pressuring them to do a despicable action-- which might have disturbed some of them, especially if they were sober-- with membership in a fraternity as the prize.

"In the future, behavior of this nature will neither be enacted nor tolerated"

and you're doing that how?

get real. this event, and the public outcry, won't change zeta psi's behavior.

Dude, this is the most poorly-written YDN opinion column I've ever seen. Come on.

"Every single member would like to stress our utmost respect for the female student body."

Yes, I am sure your members rise to the position of fullest attention when facing the female student body, no doubt, no doubt.

The actions of the Zeta Psi Fraternity were completely repulsive and disgusting. It is funny how some people are only willing to care about sexual harassment and the lives of sexual assault victims once they are threatened with a law suit. I personally feel like vomitting.

--The officers of the fraternity are open and willing to meet with the leaders of the Yale Women’s Center to discuss this issue further and address solutions to this kind of irresponsible behavior.--

"…address solutions to this kind of irresponsible behavior."

He tries to make it sound like the leaders of Zeta Psi are above this whole thing.

Despicable
    Completely repulsive
    Disgusting
    "I…feel like vomiting"

Wow: what ever will you do when you read about the Civil War? Or gassing of the Kurds? Or Darfur? I mean, if you are at extremity with regard to churlish stupidity, what will you do when hit with REAL outrages against humanity?

With regard to the women's rights movement--I don't see to many Women's Center members hopping the first bus to Mecca in order to free the oppressed women of Saudi. Frickin' hypocrites.

I do not think the letter-writer was in earnest; better sue.

the saddest thing is charest and company's actions will not not not have consequences with yale college administrators. call me a cynic but what are they gonna do? these idiots will say theyre sorry ("no, look! we really mean it!…we even wrote a column in the ydn…") and all will be forgiven what with these pinky sized boys having "learned their lessons." and isnt that what we're all here for? to learn?

charest and zeta psi: youre all pathetic pathetic losers.

8:12

The irony involved in posting anonymously to protest their anonymity is truly beautiful.

Irony is lost on that lot; it is a tool of the oppressor class.

1:04

The irony involved in posting anonymously to protest his/her protesting of their anonymity is truly postmodern.

thanks but no thanks for your "regards," zeta psi.
    - Yale

Robert R:

I am not at all protesting ZP's anonymity. I don't believe that youthful indiscretions should be made forever googleable.

I am merely pointing out the irony in 8:12's "protest". It's hefty.

I was just making a silly joke, don't worry about it too much.

You know, I thought that this was a blatant lie, but then I realized that I was badly misreading the sentence.

I think the male students should work in the Women's Center for an amount of time to be determined.

love,
    a women's center worker
    from the U. of Scranton

get over yourselves - how "harmed" are you women of the center?
    lighten up people - the "real diverse" world is gonna be a bit more alarming than some frat boys goofin' on your doorstep. Yale Diversity…the motto. Love it, Live it!!!!!

• Womble

There is a lack of commas in that article which makes it hard to understand. The sentence construction is also very confusing.

"We accept full responsibility in regard to the offensive comments made in a recently circulated photograph via the Internet."

Comments are not made in a photograph.