Away games at Minnesota, Nebraska and … Alabama?

In a rare road trip, this weekend will take the men’s hockey team to the Yellowhammer State to face off against Alabama-Huntsville (2-12-2) for their last weekend of non-conference play. The Bulldogs (7-6-3, 4-4-3 ECAC) will be looking to come back from tough losses to ECAC powerhouses Princeton and Quinnipiac as they face off against the Chargers, a team that, despite a rocky start to the season, the Elis certainly cannot overlook.

“We are excited about the upcoming trip,” head coach Keith Allain ’80 said. “It will provide an opportunity to play an unfamiliar opponent and a chance for our guys to experience a different hockey environment. Alabama-Huntsville is much better than their record indicates and we will have to be ready to battle right from the drop of the puck.”

After a fairy-tale 2006-’07 season, in which Alabama-Huntsville won its first-ever league championship and made an NCAA tournament appearance, the Chargers have struggled to find their rhythm this year with just two seniors on the roster and a new head coach to boot. But with a tough schedule featuring five opponents that are either ranked or received votes to be ranked in the most recent USCHO polls, they will likely still be ready to face a squad like the Bulldogs. The Elis have also faltered against ranked opponents this season, compiling an 0-2-2 record against them.

“I have been pleased with the way our guys prepare and compete every time we lace up the skates,” Allain said, “but we still need to be smarter in our execution and pay more attention to the small details in our game. Getting away together on the road before the stretch run in the ECAC allows us a chance to make improvements in those areas.”