Despite the wavering wind, the sailing team cruised smoothly to victory over the weekend, winning the first and second places in the Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association Men’s and Women’s Singlehanded Championships, respectively.

The Elis sent Thomas Barrows ’10 and Jane Macky ’09 to the ICSA Championships in Seattle, Wash. Barrows won the Glen S. Foster Trophy, scoring 66 points over 18 races, and Macky missed the Janet Lutz trophy by just eight points, coming in second behind Coast Guard’s Krysta Rohde.

Barrows is the first Yale sailor to win the Men’s Singlehanded Championship since at least 1963, the last year for which the ICSA has records. Molly Carapiet ’06 won the women’s Championship in 2006.

The regatta did not begin until Saturday because of a lack of wind on Friday. There was unfavorable weather at the start of the regatta Saturday, with the wind building up to 12-15kt. Both Barrows and Macky described Saturday as tiring because of the tough weather conditions. Macky said the windy weather weeded out some competent sailors who could have competed in the regatta.

Despite the harsh weather, both Barrows and Macky finished in strong positions after 10 races Saturday. Barrows was placed second, with only four points, behind University of South Florida’s Mitch Hall. The pressure to make up for Saturday’s deficit made Sunday more difficult for Barrows.

“At the beginning [of Sunday’s races], Hall finished right behind me, which was frustrating,” Barrows said.

Later in the day, Barrows sailed consistently, taking advantage of his boat speed, which contributed to his ultimate victory, head coach Zachary Leonard said.

“[Barrows] was able to take advantage of his speed and boathandling advantage on the fleet,” Leonard said in an e-mail.

At the end of the first day, Macky was tied in second place with Rohde. On Sunday, Macky overtook Old Dominion University’s Katrina Williams, who was placed first at the end of the first day, but Macky said she made a few minor mistakes and was unable to outduel Rohde.

Macky said she had set high expectations for herself and was disappointed with her slips, which proved decisive in the breezy conditions.

“I started over early and I hit a mack in the race course,” Macky said. “It is frustrating when you make little mistakes like these, which I have been trying to iron out in my practice.”

Barrows and Macky are back to doublehanded sailing on Nov. 10. Captain Zach Brown ’08 said the pair will continue to add critical weight to the team.

“Thomas and Jane are two of our best sailors and both serve incredibly important roles on the team,” Brown said.

The Bulldog women compete in their last event this season — the 21st Atlantic Coast regatta — at home this weekend, and the coed team travels to the Atlantic Coast Dinghies.