Another weekend, another Yale golfer wins.

The Eli women finished in second place at the Rutgers Invitational in Piscataway, N.J., this past weekend, where captain Ellie Brophy ’08 headlined the team’s second-place finish with her first career victory. Men’s golf competed at the Eastern College Athletic Conference Division I Championships in Charlestown, R.I., and finished eighth out of 14 teams, beating out all other Ivy League contenders except Dartmouth.

Brophy, who scored a six-over 150, became the second Eli golfer to win a tournament this season. Her victory came after Lindsay Hong ’08 won the Yale Intercollegiate on the weekend of Sept. 29. Despite the Bulldogs’ solid performance, Brophy said the team is still looking to improve.

“We won our last event — the Yale Intercollegiate two weeks ago — so we were feeling pretty confident going into this weekend,” she said. “But obviously we always have stuff to work on. We’ve been doing a lot of mental game work — always being confident over our shots and focusing on the one shot that we’re hitting and not thinking about the last.”

The Bulldogs held on to second place on both days of the invite, but Taylor Lee ’11 said the team was disappointed after the first round of play and showed a marked improvement on day two. Extremely windy conditions on the first day of the Invitational affected all teams and the quality of golf play. The team’s inability to practice on the course the day before was only amplified by the difficult weather, Hong said.

“Usually we have a practice and we get to look at the course … I think the main thing was that we didn’t practice at all Thursday, the day before a tournament,” Hong said. “I don’t think that’s a really good excuse, but we were thrown off by it; we weren’t in tournament mode.”

Hong, a native of Hawaii, said cold weather can be her worst enemy and attributed her first-place performance at the Yale Fall Intercollegiate to the unusually pleasant weather that weekend.

Brophy said her top individual finish at Rutgers was essential to the team’s overall second-place finish.

“Our first priority is for the team to do well,” she said. “But the better we all do as individuals, the better the team is going to end up doing. We’re all going to go out there and try and do as well as we possibly can. So coming out on top of the field was really exciting, especially because it was the first time.”

The Bulldog men also performed well this weekend at the ECAC Division I Championships. Finishing in eighth place, the Bulldogs beat out Ivy League contenders Harvard and Brown, and trailed Dartmouth by only five strokes. Colby Moore ’09 was the top Eli golfer with a tied eighth-place finish while Thomas McCarthy ’11 tied for 28th place. Captain Andrew Denenberg ’08 said he is looking forward to future tournaments as a chance for the team to improve.

“Colby [Moore] played well, but the rest of us struggled,” he said. “We’re still concerned about winning and playing well at our next tournament.”

Both teams are nearing the end of the fall season, and the urge to finish strong when heading in to the spring schedule is strong motivation to work hard, Lee said.

“We want to finish the fall season really strong,” she said. “We only have two more tournaments left — and hopefully we’ll win them.”