Updated 1:30 p.m. A female student living in Vanderbilt Hall sustained critical head and spinal injuries when she was struck by a car on the corner of York and Elm streets at approximately 1 a.m. Sunday morning, police said.

Three eyewitnesses who were in a car at the intersection of York and Elm streets at the time of the accident — all of whom asked to remain anonymous — said the car was moving at full speed when it hit the student. The car drove away immediately after the accident, they said.

In a Sunday afternoon press release seeking information on a vehicle believed to be a “blue Crown Victoria last seen heading East on Elm Street,” City Hall spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga confirmed that the student is currently in critical condition at Yale-New Haven Hospital.

Police cars blocked off access to the two rightmost lanes on Elm Street between York and High streets, where a pool of blood and a gold-colored shoe were left on the road.

Police declined to comment on whether or not the injury was life-threatening.

The eyewitnesses said they were unable to get a good look at the victim’s face, but were able to ascertain that she was white.

Police responded quickly after the accident, the individuals said, because they were behind the car at the intersection. There were both New Haven and Yale police officers at the scene.

Yale-New Haven Hospital declined to release any information about the patient without the patient’s name Sunday morning.

According to the press release, anyone with information on the accident should call police at 203-946-6316.