The Yale Police Department has confirmed that Casper Desfeux ’10 is accused of secretly videotaping himself and his then-girlfriend having sex and disseminating the recording without her knowledge.

According to a police affidavit, Desfeux showed the tape — which he told police he made using a built-in camera on his Apple MacBook — to his four roommates. Desfeux’s arraignment was set to take place today, but was rescheduled for Oct. 12, a New Haven Superior Court clerk said. Though he was arrested on voyeurism charges a week ago, official details about the incident were not made available at the time.

The former girlfriend, also a Yale student, brought charges to prevent the further dissemination of the video around the University or the Internet, according to the police. She found out about the tape after it was brought to her attention by one of Desfeux’s roommates.

Desfeux told Yale police that the large file size of the 45-minute video prevented him from sending the video to anyone. He also told police that he recorded the incident because he simply “wanted to see if [his video camera] worked,” according to the affidavit.

Under Connecticut criminal code, voyeurism is defined as a situation in which a person films or photographs another individual without his or her knowledge when that person has a reasonable expectation of privacy. Both voyeurism and the dissemination of voyeuristic materials are considered to be Class D felonies.

Earlier this week, Desfeux’s laywer, William Dow ’63, expressed hope that the matter could be cleared up quickly.

“It appears that this evolved from a misunderstanding, and we’re hopeful that the situation can be resolved,” he said previously.

Dow was not available for comment Thursday night.

University spokesman Thomas Conroy declined to comment, saying that any disciplinary action taken against Desfeux — a Denmark native — is confidential.

—Associated Press reports are included in this story.