During an interview, Megan Enyeart ’09 — wearing sweats and a white-and-blue tournament shirt — speaks thoughtfully and honestly, but with a hint of reservation. The first baseman chooses her words with care, revealing her occasionally self-critical tendencies.

After a stellar rookie year, the all-Ivy player has put pressure on herself to excel in her sophomore season. Although her stats look great to the rest of her team, Enyeart is still looking for the next gear in order to satisfy her personal expectations.

Considering the success of her 2006 season, which was virtually unmatched in the league, it is easy to understand the exceedingly high standards Megan sets for herself. She racked up a school-record 14 doubles and led the Ivy League with 18 hits, only two shy of a second Yale record. In addition, she garnered recognition as an Ivy League Player of the Week, a first team all-Ivy player and co-MVP of her team. And all of this momentum came off leading her high school team to their first California state title in Dos Pueblos history — as a catcher.

“I was excited to be here and wanted to prove that I deserved it,” Enyeart said of her debut season.

Enyeart’s move from behind the plate to the first base bag was seamless, and both her teammates and coaches value their first baseman’s continuing contributions to the softball team.

“Offensively she is one of the most consistent players on the team,” catcher Katie Edwards ’09 said. “When we are behind and there are runners on base, I am always thrilled when Megan is the one at the plate, because I know that she is going to put the ball in play every time.”

Head coach Barbara Reinalda called her cleanup hitter “a key part” of the team and said she values Enyeart’s strong competitive drive and personal accountability.

“She’s a team player, but she looks at herself as whether she has done her job or not,” Reinalda said.

Reinalda also explained that as players spend more time in the league, it becomes harder for them to excel because opposing teams learn how to pitch against them and play to their weaknesses. Despite the additional stress she has placed upon herself this year, Enyeart is able to put her season in perspective and looks positively to the future.

“I know that I’m doing well and that I can do better,” Enyeart said. “I just need to relax and let it happen and not try to force it.”

And relaxing shouldn’t be too much trouble for the Goleta, Calif., native. Her peers appreciate her calm demeanor and the quiet example she sets. Edwards called her teammate “by far one of the easiest people in the world to get along with,” and she said that while Enyeart is never the loudest person in the room, she always leads by her actions.

“She always seems to do what she thinks is right, and I think other people realize that and follow it,” suitemate Nisha Ligon ’09 said.

Ligon said she appreciates how thoughtful Enyeart is towards others, and that despite her sometimes quiet demeanor, Enyeart is always up for a good conversation. Leaving the suite often takes an extra 15 minutes, Ligon said, because she’ll pass Enyeart’s suite and end up talking.

A “really inspired” Enyeart also turns to art as an escape and a means of expression. In addition to painting and drawing, Enyeart works on many projects for classes in architecture, which she hopes to major in.

Most importantly, Enyeart has a passion on the field that is sure to carry her beyond any mid-season doubts.

“I like being out there and working hard and pushing myself towards a common goal with my teammates,” Enyeart said. “I feel like as long as you’re working hard, that’s the most you can do, working hard and having fun.”