Univ. can and should honor those who serve in military

To the Editor:

What is Yale doing to recognize those from Yale — graduates, staff, faculty — who have served in combat in the Persian Gulf or in Afghanistan or the other troubled areas of the world, either for the United States or for their own country? What about any working in humanitarian jobs in these places? More than once I’ve asked this of Joel Podolny, dean of the School of Management. I’ve asked University President Richard Levin and the Association of Yale Alumni. No replies.

U.S. Army Col. Rich Morales SOM ’99 is back just now from at least his third tour in the Gulf in combat, including the first Gulf War. His e-mails to friends are inspiring in their courage and dedication to his troops. Not a syllable of politics or criticism. Most humbling is that he wrote to us that he understood that the debate at home over the war is what he and his troops are fighting for. I’ve asked the School of Management who else is serving, military or otherwise. Has anyone died? Any Yale staff called up in the reserves? Why not an edition of the Alumni Magazine on these people? The SOM Alumni Leaders’ Web pages have color photos and write-ups for the captains of industry and many fine people. Rich is there in name only. No photo or write-up. I am embarrassed for Yale here.

Yet the mail for the $3 billion Yale Tomorrow campaign flies through the mail slot every day. I read in the news that Yale’s most recent IRS 990 form, where non-profits disclose their financials, that Yale revenues were $3.4 billion with expenses of $1.9 billion. Where does the money go? Dean Podolny apparently needs $300 million, for what I cannot fathom.

How is it that Yale and these leaders have no end of fundraising time and none for those of Yale putting their lives in danger for their country, for our country? Yale can do better.

Wick Sloane SOM ’84

Jan. 11

The writer lives in Massachusetts.