Gregory Korb ’09 — the Calhoun student who had been arrested last August on charges of sexual assault in the first degree, assault in the second degree and unlawful restraint in the first degree — reached a compromise resolution Monday in New Haven Superior Court.

According to court records, Korb pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charges of assault in the third degree and threatening in the second degree. Korb, who was originally a member of the class of 2008 and a sophomore at the time of his arrest, was sentenced to six months suspended imprisonment for each charge, to be served concurrently, and 18 months probation. Under the sentence, Korb will not have to serve any jail time, as the 6 month imprisonment has been suspended indefinitely.

The original charges were dismissed as part of the compromise, said William Dow ’63, Korb’s attorney. Had Korb been found guilty of sexual assault, he could have faced a sentence of up to 10 years in prison.

According to court records, Korb is prohibited from making any direct or indirect contact with the victim during his probationary period. During the 18-month period, he will also not be allowed to return to the Yale campus, though he may study abroad through the University. Because the original sexual assault charge was dropped, Korb is not considered a sex offender.

The compromise closes the case, which began when Korb was arrested by the Yale Police Department in the early morning hours of Aug. 27, 2005.

Korb declined to comment on Tuesday.

Dow said that Korb maintains he is not guilty of the charges he was arrested on.

“This was a compromise resolution in which [Korb] did not admit guilt,” he said. “He maintained his innocence and entered a plea of no contest to misdemeanor charges which involved no allegations of sexual misconduct.”

Calhoun Master Jonathan Holloway and Dean of Student Affairs Betty Trachtenberg declined to comment on the case or the University’s response.