RUNNING AND SINGING

Every year, a cappella Tap Night takes about two hours, and by the end of the evening, freshmen and upperclassmen can barely move from all the sprinting. Were one of the extracurricular groups at Middlebury College in Vermont to run Tap Night, the whole endeavor would take about two minutes. Middlebury MchakaMchaka, or MMM for short, is a group entirely devoted to simultaneously running and singing. MchakaMchaka itself means “run-and-sing,” and refers to the Tanzanian tradition of schoolchildren doing exactly that. Yohanne “Kido” Kidolezi, a Tanzanian student, brought the practice to his school.

PEACE OUT

Swarthmore College in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, has a reputation as a hippie school. Perhaps this is because the students can minor in Peace. The Peace and Conflict Studies Program offers courses such as “Nonviolent Responses to Terrorism,” “Human Rights, Refugees, and International Law,” and “Peace Studies and Action.” The program even has its own library, the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Peace out, Swarthmore, peace out.

ALL DURFEE’S, ALL THE TIME

For Dartmouth students, the dining hall world is a giant Durfee’s, more centrally located and with more options. Their food court, with its selection ranging from sandwiches to lobster, is open until 1 am, along with a cafe next door for coffee, fresh desserts, and cooked-to-order stir-fry. “Bring me your tired, your poor, your freezing, huddled masses of college students,” call the late-night eateries, and luckily, students have the option to do so.