Residents back Univ. expansion

At a public hearing Thursday night, members of the Dixwell community expressed support for the transfer of development rights of three dead-end New Haven streets to Yale, which has proposed building new academic buildings or residential colleges.

In exchange for the right to take over and develop the three streets behind Grove Street Cemetery, Yale will contribute approximately $10 million towards improving roadway infrastructure in the adjacent area, completing another portion of the Farmington Canal greenway and expanding Scantlebury Park in the Dixwell neighborhood. Dixwell residents who spoke at Thursday’s hearing were enthusiastic about the park’s expansion, though some New Haven residents expressed concern that the city was abandoning the dead-end streets before Yale provided a final proposal for what it will build on the site.

The University has not yet formed the committee that will determine how the site will be used, Michael Morand, Yale’s associate vice president for New Haven and state affairs, said. But University and city officials have said in interviews that the site would likely be used for new residential colleges or academic and research buildings, and the City Plan Commission wrote in its report recommending the development agreement that the University had identified the blocks near Sachem and Prospect streets for “academic/residential purposes, including new residential colleges.”

Karyn Gilvarg ARCH ’75, executive director of the City Plan Department, said she hopes the University will build new colleges on the site because they would bring more life to the area.

“I like the idea of more residences in the area, because academic buildings are not 24 hours,” she said.

Dixwell residents praised the development for reflecting the wishes of that neighborhood, particularly with regard to expanding Scantlebury Park. Speaking at Thursday’s hearing, held by the Board of Aldermen, Roxanne Condon, president of the community group Dixwell Management Team, said 861 neighborhood residents had signed a petition in favor of expanding the park, which she said serves both elderly residents of the Edith Johnson Towers and schoolchildren at the Wexler-Grant School.

“There was a real grassroots campaign in our neighborhood to expand the park by closing Canal Street,” Condon said.

The lack of controversy regarding this development agreement contrasts sharply with the fight last year over the construction of the Yale-New Haven Hospital Cancer Center. Community groups succeeded in delaying approval of that project until the hospital signed onto a community benefits agreement, which specified that it would hire neighborhood residents for jobs and would contribute money for housing and economic development in the Hill neighborhood where the center is now being built.

“In the Dixwell area, we see cooperation day to day, and what we propose continues that process of rationally planning with the city and with the neighborhood,” Morand said.

Mark Abraham ’04, who works at a local architectural firm, said increased density on the site — which is now mostly parking lots — would benefit the city by making the area more lively. He also praised Yale for securing development rights to the land before beginning to draft design plans, which he said would ensure that the final plans better reflect an appropriate use of the site.

But some local planners said the dead-end streets should not be abandoned until the University submits final plans and the city conducts a traffic flow study. Anstress Farwell GRD ’78, president of the New Haven Urban Design League, said the streets are a public asset and that the city should get an independent appraisal of the proposed development’s impact on traffic.

Morand said he expects the full Board of Aldermen to vote on the development agreement by October.

• vmt

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Contact: Van Truong
    818-281-8502
    van@soundhall.org

SOUND HALL PRESENTS CHICAGO UNDERGROUND DUO

“Their stripped-down duo minimal approach to music produces an apocalypse of sound.” — Mike Corroto, All About Jazz

New Haven, CT—SOUND HALL will present a rare discussion and performance by celebrated jazz collective, Chicago Underground Duo. Friday, May 11, 2012, 8PM at INTERCAMBIO, located at 756 Chapel Street, New Haven.

Chicago Underground Duo’s last album, Boca Negra (2010), was a New York Times Critic’s Choice and was called “the rare jazz album that gets deep into the possibilities.” When asked to describe their work in their own words, the duo have called it “an organic mixture of African, Electronic, Coloristic, Jazz influenced life supporting systematic, non-systematic feeling from two humans trying ever to expand outward and inward for the people and ourselves.”

Chicago Underground Duo, composed of drummer Chad Taylor and Rob Mazurek on cornet, arose as part of the new era of improvisational musicians in early-1990s Chicago. They have drawn much fanfare for their mesmerizing live performances and tour extensively in support of each release.
    2012 will be a milestone for the Chicago Underground Duo, marking their 15th year together as a band. In celebration of this momentous occasion they have released a new record, Age of Energy, on Brooklyn-based, artist-run label, Northern Spy Records. Age of Energy is Chad and Rob’s sixth release as Chicago Underground Duo and the eleventh release in the Chicago Underground catalog.

SOUND HALL is a curated speaker and performance series, initiated with support from the Public Humanities Initiative at Yale University. The series gathers diverse audiences together in various public spaces throughout New Haven, with the aim of creating meaningful spaces for collective listening. This event will be held Friday, May 11, 2012 at INTERCAMBIO, located at 756 Chapel Street, New Haven. The event begins at 8pm. $5 – $15 suggested donation. No one will be turned away for lack of funds. Open to the public. For more information, visit http://www.soundhall.org

###