A Divinity School student is currently recovering in Yale-New Haven Hospital after being shot Friday night during a botched robbery attempt.

University Deputy Secretary Martha Highsmith said that officers from both the Yale and New Haven police departments took a suspect into custody on Mansfield Street, the scene of the shooting, immediately upon responding to the distress call made at approximately 9 p.m. Friday. Although the name of the wounded student has not been released to the press, Highsmith said the 27-year-old male was shot after attempting to fight the man who was robbing him.

“There was a struggle that ensued [between them] and the gun was fired,” she said.

YPD Lt. Michael Patten said the injured student was with three other Yale graduate students at the time of the incident, all of whom escaped unharmed. One of the uninjured students restrained the assailant until police arrived, Patten said.

NHPD spokeswoman Bonnie Winchester said Dwayne Lockman, 39, is was arrested at the scene and has been charged with robbery, assault, and carrying a pistol without a permit.

The wounded student was transported to Yale-New Haven, where he is expected to make a full recovery, Patten said. Still, he cautioned students against trying to subdue an armed attacker themselves.

“We would definitely not recommend struggling with a person with a gun if you are unarmed,” Patten said.

The News will provide updates as information becomes available.