In college sailing, even winners can sometimes come in sixth.

Matt Barry ’07, the captain of the No. 7 coed sailing team, won the singlehanded C division at the Admiral’s Cup at the United States Merchant Marine Academy in King’s Point, N.Y., this weekend. But the Elis were unable to put up similar performances in the doublehanded A and B divisions, and Yale finished sixth of 18 overall.

The coed team also finished eighth of 18 at the Moody Trophy at Rhode Island, while the No. 3 women’s team finished third of 16 at the Dellenbaugh Women’s Trophy at Brown.

Barry said the team had a tough weekend.

“We were happy with the results in both the Moody and the Admiral’s Cup, but we know we could have done better,” Barry said. “We actually have the capacity to have won both these regattas, so I think it was just an off weekend for our team.”

Zach Brown ’08 and Sarah Himmelfarb ’06 finished 10th of 18 in the A division at the Admiral’s Cup, while Molly Carapiet ’06 and Hannah Oakland ’07 finished seventh of 18 in the B division.

At the Moody, Phil Stemler ’07 and Abby Coplin ’08 came in eighth of 18 in the A division, while Eivind Karlsen ’06 and Courtney Cox ’06 finished 11th in the B division. Coplin said she and Stemler did not sail as well as they would have liked.

“We were definitely disappointed by our finishes, particularly because our level of speed and boat-handling was definitely superior to most of the people there,” she said. “We also had a lot of trouble getting off the start line.”

Many of the Elis’ problems this weekend could have stemmed not from the conditions at the regattas, but rather from the weather in New Haven. Lack of wind has limited the Bulldogs’ practices this month, making the adjustment from team racing to fleet racing difficult, Coplin said. Stemler and Coplin make up one boat of the Bulldogs’ team racing squad.

“One of the problems is that a lot of the team is in team racing mode right now,” Coplin said. “Next week, we’ll try to focus on fleet racing a little bit more in practice.”

The women’s team finished third of 16 at the Dellenbaugh in Providence, but Yale sailors have high expectations for themselves. Women’s captain Emily Hill ’07, who finished third in the A division with crew Meghan Pearl ’06, said the team still has a ways to go.

“We thought it was a really rough weekend — the conditions were really hard,” Hill said. “We really worked through a lot of the different problems and saw some successes, but it definitely showed that we have a lot we can improve on and a lot to work on in practice.”

In B division at the Dellenbaugh, Kendra Emhiser ’07 and crew Eliza Becton ’06 finished fifth. Hill said both she and Emhiser had mixed feelings about the results.

“We’d like to win every regatta, obviously, but I think third was good considering how we both thought we sailed,” Hill said. “I don’t think we were particularly happy with how we sailed, but we weren’t devastated.”