Amy Wojnarwsky ’07, a native of Cleveland, Ohio, is a political science major and member of Calhoun College. As one of the co-coordinators of Dwight Hall, Wojnarwsky oversees the direction and day-to-day administration of the student-run umbrella community service and social justice organization. She is particularly active with YHHAP, the Yale Hunger and Homeless Action Project.

Tuesday, April 11

8 a.m. — Breakfast in Commons

Wojnarwsky wakes up at 8 a.m. on Tuesdays to eat breakfast in Commons Dining Hall before her 9:30 class. During this time, Wojnarwsky reads the newspaper, does Sudoku, and relaxes before the day kicks in.

9:30 a.m. — “Genocide: An Interdisciplinary Perspective” in Luce Hall with professor Adam Jones

In this international studies course, Wojnarwsky investigated a topic she looked at briefly in a class last semester. While the other course touched upon violence and civil strife, this one focuses solely on genocide and looks at the topic from a variety of perspectives. Although this class is not for her major, Wojnarwsky said she finds it fascinating to see genocide in the context of many fields and how people in those fields — anthropology, psychology and history, among others — pursue their studies of the subject.

1:30 p.m. — “World Food Issues” at 8 Prospect St. with professor Harry Blair

Wojnarwsky’s third class of the day is a political science seminar. The course covers a range of nourishment concerns, such as the genetic modification of crops, and the professor draws on his experience in Bangladesh to provide real-life applications.

3:30 p.m. — Babysitting

After her seminar, Wojnarwsky leaves campus to pick up her baby-sitting charge, the 10-year-old son of a Yale staff member, from his elementary school. She stays with him until about 5:30, when his mom comes home from work. Wojnarwsky said she enjoys the job because it gives her a “family away from home.”

6:00 — Tabling outside Calhoun College for YHHAP

When she arrives back on campus, Wojnarwsky spends her dinner hour outside Calhoun Dining Hall asking passersby if they want to donate their swipes for the upcoming YHHAP fast, an event in which students give up a day of dining hall meals for charity.

7 p.m. — Relax at home

For a half hour, Wojnarwsky allows herself to slow down and relax. She watches “Date My Mom” on Tivo.

“It’s a horrible show, but I love it,” she said.

7:30 p.m. — Work at Harmony Place

With the money raised from the YHHAP fasts, the student organization has funded Harmony Place, a center for the homeless open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Harmony Place features washers, dryers, television and a bowling league.

“It’s a place for people to come where there isn’t hierarchy of power, as there is in shelters,” Wojnarwsky said.

Wojnarwsky volunteers at Harmony Place until it closes at 9:15 p.m., and she spends the next hour driving people back to the shelters.