Just two weeks into the Ivy League season, only three things are evident about conference softball teams. First, Princeton is absurdly good. With the top two pitchers in the league, the Tigers are the only unbeaten squad and their wins last weekend over Yale and Brown firmly ensconced themselves in first place. This weekend, Princeton will defend the top spot as it takes on Cornell and Columbia.

The second undeniable observation about Ivy League softball is that Columbia is, yet again, the bottom-dweller of the league. The Lions took their conference season-opener against Dartmouth, 3-1, but have dropped the rest of their games since then. Columbia will have the chance to prove itself this weekend when they face the Killer Ps, seeking to move out of the conference cellar.

Finally, there’s the rest of the league. As of last weekend, the middle-of-the-pack teams are all jumbled together after several split doubleheaders and inconsistent play. This weekend should give the mid-ranked teams — particularly Harvard, Dartmouth and Cornell ­– the opportunity to pull away from the pack. Cornell’s 3-1 record places the Big Red second in the league, while Harvard and Dartmouth are tied for third at 2-2.

Yale and Brown, along with Columbia, bring up the rear of the conference in a three-way tie for sixth place. But Yale and Brown proved last weekend that they can compete with the likes of Princeton and Penn. This weekend, both the Elis and the Bears will take on Harvard and Dartmouth, giving the two teams a chance to improve their records and move up in the league standings.