In what would prove to be her final game in a Yale jersey, women’s hockey goalie Sarah Love ’06 was magnificent.

With the Elis facing elimination in the first round of the ECACHL playoffs, Love pulled out all the stops, standing on her head to rack up a personal-best 53 saves. During her 58 and a half minutes in net March 4, everything that made Love’s career a success was on display.

“I struggled in the first game of the series, and I didn’t want to end my Yale career on that note,” Love said. “I really wanted to be in the net on Saturday so I could play like I’m capable of. I just went out, had fun and after the game, I knew there was nothing more I could have done on the ice.”

But even a record-breaking effort from the player who owns every significant Yale goaltending record was not enough to save the Elis from elimination by No. 2 St. Lawrence (31-4-2, 16-2-2 ECACHL). After beating the Elis 6-3 in the series opener March 3, the Saints scored four consecutive goals, including two empty-netters, to overcome an early deficit, win the second game 6-2, and sweep the best-of-three playoff series.

The loss was also the last game for captain Lisa Jacque ’06 and forward Deena Caplette ’06, who with Love form the most successful class in program history. In addition to finishing with the most wins of any class in school history, Caplette, Love, and Jacque won more games in their four years with the team than the Elis had in the past 10 seasons combined.

Love said she was proud of her teammates.

“St. Lawrence is a very good team,” she said. “When we skated off the ice, we were able to keep our heads up.”