To the Editor:

Yale undergraduates have a unique opportunity today to give up their meal swipes to benefit many wonderful charities devoted to alleviating hunger and homelessness. The Yale Hunger and Homelessness Action Project Fast has been a campus tradition since 1974 and participation is a great sign of Yalie solidarity and commitment to important issues. We have received overwhelming support from the campus approximately 700 new sign-ups.

Most students have been extremely understanding of the technological transition that left last semester’s participants automatically enrolled. We have made every effort to let these individuals know about the opt-out process. Students who did not opt-out of the fast before 1 p.m. yesterday are still able to eat in the dining halls, as the dining staff has made every effort to be accommodating and resolve the issue of automatic enrollment.

The article “Glitches plague sign-up for Fast” (11/16) misrepresented the fast, the efforts of Yale Dining Services and YHHAP to resolve the “glitch” and our communication to those who were affected by it. The support of over the 1,350 students participating today does not demonstrate a “plagued” event, and the support of participants has been wonderful. The transition to online sign-ups has been relatively smooth and we have worked extensively with YDS to resolve automatic enrollments. Our solution has allowed past fast participants to stay involved and those who do not want to participate have had the opportunity to opt-out; they can do this the day of the fast, as well. In the future, however, the opt-out system will not be used and sign-ups will always be done with students opting to participate in the fast.

Amy Wojnarwsky ’07

Nov. 16, 2005

The writer is a co-coordinator of YHHAP.