Although no senior wants to end the season with a loss, veteran members of the field hockey team were forced to do just that.

“Of course it would have been awesome for the seniors to win their last game, but the overall experience was more important,” midfielder Ali Rotondo ’09 said.

Ending the season with two straight losses, the Bulldogs fell, 2-1, to the Bears in New Haven on Saturday. Unlike last weekend’s loss to Columbia, in which a Lions goal just under two minutes in sunk the Elis, 1-0, the Bears topped the Bulldogs late in the game. Brown’s Ani Kazarian scored the game-winner unassisted with just over 10 minutes to play.

Yale head coach Pam Stuper said the final score did not reflect the effort put forth by the Bulldogs.

“We played another great game of field hockey, dominating our opponent in possession and attack opportunities throughout both halves,” Stuper said. “Unfortunately for us, Brown was more opportunistic and scored on the few chances they had.”

Indeed, the Bulldogs garnered impressive statistics, outshooting Brown 24-9 and receiving eight penalty corners compared to one for the Bears.

“If you look at the statistics, it’s pretty obvious we dominated the game,” goalkeeper Kate Crandall ’06 said.

Brown’s Andrea Posa scored on a penalty-stroke goal 17 minutes into the game, putting the Bears on the board. The equalizer came after halftime. With just over 15 minutes left in the game, midfielder Grace Morris ’06 knocked in a Lindsay Collins ’07 shot that had gotten by Bears goalkeeper Kristen Hodavance.

The Bulldogs have gotten used to losing by one goal. This loss to Brown marks the seventh time this season that Yale has fallen by just one score.

“Of course we were disappointed with the loss … but we were pretty happy with the level of hockey we played throughout the season,” Rachel Lentz ’07 said.

Despite the consistent disappointments, Yale’s offense has become more aggressive, consistently outshooting opponents. The Bulldog defense has also been able to hold its own. In her final appearance in goal, Crandall notched six saves.

Although the Bulldogs finish the fall with a losing record, they said the win-loss column is not indicative of what they have done this season.

“The 2005 Yale field hockey team are champions, in my eyes, despite our record,” Stuper said. “The team worked extremely hard the past 10 months and played every game with heart, determination and pride. I am very, very proud of how they competed and look forward to building on the good hockey we have been playing.”