Yale’s sailing team had another successful weekend, dominating the Hatch Brown Intersectional and finishing first in front of Harvard and Boston College. In the New England Sloop Championships at the U.S. Cost Guard Academy, the Bulldogs came in fourth with 48 points, just missing qualifying for nationals. The No. 1 women’s sailing team finished second at Mrs. Hurst Bowl at Dartmouth with a total of 68 points.

“Individually we could have done better in each division but it was good to come out on top as a team,” women’s captain Molly Carapiet ’06 said.

In the A division at the Hatch Brown Intersectional, Hannah Oakland ’07 crewed for Carapiet to finish seventh with 73 points. Zach Brown ’08 and Sarah Himmelfarb ’06 finished second in the B division and Phil Stemler ’07 and Abby Coplin ’08 finished fourth in the C division.

“We were winning our division until the last race,” Himmelfarb said. “We had been really consistent. In the last race, we didn’t get a good start.”

The Intersectional included 18 other schools, with racing in two divisions of FJ’s and one division of Tech Dinghies. On Saturday, seven races were held in each division and on Sunday only three races were held in each division.

“It was tough conditions. There was little wind, which is a difficult condition for our teams,” Carapiet said.

The fourth-place finish for the Bulldogs at the New England Sloop championships was a bit of a disappointment for them. The Bulldogs do not have the Sloop championship-standard Colgate 26’s at the Yale Corinthian Yacht Club, so they have not had much time to practice. Instead of two sailors in the FJ’s and 420’s, the sloop race has four sailors and requires much more cooperation. Sloops also use a spinnaker when sailing downwind, which is unique in college sailing. In general, sailing sloops requires more experience. The Bulldog sloop team included captain Matthew Barry ’07 as skipper with crews Hilary Shapiro ’08, Jane Macky ’09 and Elivind Karlsen ’06.

“We’ve come a really long way,” Shapiro said. “We were proud how well we sailed together.”

The conditions were really shifty, making sailing difficult. There were three races sailed on Saturday and five races sailed on Sunday. The Bulldogs were doing well, tied for first going into the last two races. But Connecticut College won the last two races and Harvard finished second as both of Yale’s rivals qualified for the ICSA Sloop Championships.

“We were really disappointed at the end,” Barry said. “We just missed qualifying. It came down to the last race. We sailed really well and there is always next year.”

In Hanover, N.H. the women’s sailing team finished second just behind Dartmouth by 22 points and just ahead of the college of Charleston by 16 points. In the A division, Emily Hill ’07 and Megan Pearl ’08 finished second behind Dartmouth and in the B division, Kendra Emhiser ’07 and Eliza Becton ’06 finished third behind Dartmouth and the College of Charleston.

“The women’s team did really well,” Carapiet said. “They’ve been working really hard. It was a great finish.”

Next weekend, the women’s team is going to Boston College for the women’s New England single-handed Championships. The Elis will also go to Tufts for the Hood Trophy regatta.

“I’m excited to sail at Tufts,” Himmelfarb said, “I’m excited to see how we’ll do.”