Yale Police Department officers responded to a report of a physical altercation involving a student near the corner of Crown and High streets early Friday morning.

Police arrested Joseph Fahrendorf ’06 outside the Soul de Cuba restaurant on charges of assault in the third degree and breach of peace in the second degree, both of which are considered misdemeanors, University Police Lt. Michael Patten said.

A YPD officer stopped at a traffic light between the intersection of Crown and High streets observed an argument between Fahrendorf and another student at 12:55 a.m., New Haven Police Department spokeswoman Bonnie Winchester said.

“The officer then observed Fahrendorf strike a female student who was standing next to the guy with whom Fahrendorf was arguing,” she said. “The young woman fell to the ground.”

Winchester said the YPD officer handcuffed Fahrendorf and placed him in the back of his cruiser.

Although the arrest occurred near Soul de Cuba, owner Jesus Puerto said he was unaware of any problems occurring late Thursday night or early Friday morning.

Following the arrest, Patten said the NHPD handled the situation. Winchester said the New Haven Police took Fahrendorf to the detention center located at One Union Ave..

Fahrendorf said he was unable to comment on the situation, but he is scheduled to appear in court for a plea hearing on Sept. 23.