City works to prepare Coliseum for implosion

The New Haven Coliseum, an arena that was once a center of activity in New Haven’s downtown, is on schedule to be demolished sometime early this fall, said New Haven Deputy Economic Development Director Tony Bialecki, although an exact date for the demolition will not be known for a few more weeks.

The prime contractor, Standard Demolition of Trumbull, Conn., is currently working inside the steel-and-concrete Coliseum and the nearby abandoned Macy’s and Malley’s department stores to remove as much of each structure as possible before imploding each building’s remaining superstructure.

“They’re … inside both buildings doing environmental remediation, and from there they will move outside on both buildings, and we can demolish them once they’re clean inside,” Bialecki said. “It’s more prudent to sort of go slowly, carefully with this thing.”

Before demolition work could begin, the Coliseum had to be disconnected from its electric power supply, a complex process which took a significant amount of time. Al Carbone, a spokesman for United Illuminating, the electric company working to disconnect the Coliseum from the city’s grid, said safety processes and extra cautions taken not to disrupt the rest of the grid caused the disconnect to take a few weeks.

Still, Carbone and Bialecki said, the complexity of the disconnect was anticipated, and there was no delay in the overall demolition process.

Bialecki said that a final date for the implosion will not be set for another few weeks. Once the date is set, rescheduling would be difficult because of the necessary safety precautions, which will require the assistance of police and fire services.

“Once they get that date, they’ll stick to that date, because there are whole procedures and plans,” Bialecki said. “They’re just trying to make sure that they have the right date.”

• choadsplace

Now I know who lives in my old room on Piss Alley! I feel your pain, brother. Here’s what I did: get a fire extinguisher and put it just inside that thing that you call your window and everyone else calls a convenient public urinal (thanks, Saarinen). Thread the nozzle through the shutter slats. At 2 a.m., when you hear that familiar patter against the glass next to your head, shout “YOU CALL THAT A PISS?” and hit them full force with the fire extinguisher. (Of course, this was 25 years ago when we had water fire extinguishers, but I imagine foam works too.) The technique can be modified as appropriate for the vomiters, date-rapists, and fist-fighters who pass by nightly, but whatever you do, don’t look down on them as they lie cursing in their own stomach contents, dick in hand. That would be elitist.